P67 Sabertooth & 2600K build

Jaz709

n00b
Someone had wanted me to build a system for them over the winter and when they saw my Q6600 system they made an offer I couldn't refuse. Running an OC E5300 @ 3.6G till the new parts arive.

With talks of possible price hikes along with shortages of P67 boards I decided to place an order for the following:

P67 Sabertooth
i7 2600K
Noctua NH-D14
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x(2x4G) DDR3-1600 CL7-8-7-24 1.5V
Antec High Current Pro 1200W

I'll be reusing the following:

Thermal Take Mozart TX Aluminum
X25-M 80G
WD 1TB Black(s)
2x Sony DVD/R
nVidia GTX 220 (will be replaced in a few months)

This will be used for PS CS5, audio/video editing, gaming, (once the video card is replaced, web surfing etc.

Like many I wanted the Maximus iv Extreme. Given its high price and availability I decided to go with the Sabertooh instead.

++++.com has the psu and cpu on sale so I decided to go all out and get everything at once. Checking their site today I see there is only 1 P67 Sabertooh in stock with very few other SB boards remaining. I just hope there are no issures with this board compared to the P8P67 Pro & Deluxe. Originally planned to go X58 because of complaints with P67 issues but figured I'd kick myself had i gone that route. Look forward to receiving my parts within the next week or so.

I'm currently doing a 2500k build with a p67 sabertooth as well. While I was doing research on the sabertooth p67 motherboard, Asus specifically stated that a downward (towards the CPU) fan is required for optimal cooling. I ordered the Noctua NH-C12P SE14 instead of the NH-D14 because of this. I originally wanted the NH-C14, but it was too expensive. At this point, I would get a 50mm fan (should be like 10 bucks) and install it on your board. There is a plate that you can remove and install it, just for that reason.

Here's what I ordered:

p57 Sabertooth
i5 2500k
Noctua NH-C12P SE14
Corsair AX750 power supply
Corsair 650D case
Mushkin Blackline 2x(2x2gb) DDR31600 7-9-7-24 1.65v (Should have gotten 1.5v, but I'm going to try and tweak it to work)

Reusing:
intel x25-m 120gb
gigabyte gtx460 1gb version

tekneek, thank you for your reply.

Can someone plase suggest a 50mm fan for the Sabertooth. I saw a 7.5cfm 50mm at the dealer when ordering and wasn't sure whether I shuld have gone with that or something with a little higher output.

I've tried downloading the manual from Asus but I get only 1 page. Thank you in advance.

tekneek, thank you for your reply.

Can someone plase suggest a 50mm fan for the Sabertooth. I saw a 7.5cfm 50mm at the dealer when ordering and wasn't sure whether I shuld have gone with that or something with a little higher output.

I've tried downloading the manual from Asus but I get only 1 page. Thank you in advance.

I'd get this one if i were in your position.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119054

While I was doing research on the sabertooth p67 motherboard, Asus specifically stated that a downward (towards the CPU) fan is required for optimal cooling.
But why? So the stuff around the socket gets a little more airflow?

Also, is using a 50mm fan really necessary? I'm using a CM 690 II Advanced for my 2500k/Sabertooth P67 build. I'm still waiting for my memory (never using Newegg's Egg Saver again), so I don't know for sure, but from reviews and working with the case, I think it'll have great airflow.

I guess they want the air to shoot down under the shield. Honestly, all this stuff is what Asus recommends so its hard to tell whether or not it is necessary. If you don't have a downshooting heatsink, then getting a 50mm fan is not a big deal. They cost about 5-8 bucks.

Heads up for anyone looking to get a 50mm fan.

Amazon is fulfilling the 15mm version of the top-rated Evercool 50mm fan, and it's only $6.99.
Evercool 50x15mm fan # EC5015M12CA

I roughly checked the clearance between the 50mm fan mount and my Corsair A70. It's about 3cm. But an even bigger issue is the top screws. With no fan installed, they were sufficiently accessible, but with a fan decreasing the angle of approach, I may have look around for a much smaller screwdriver.

Buying from Newegg, with UPS Ground instead of Egg Saver, either fan will be $9+ shipped.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Buy 8GB(2x4GB) of ram if you going to use PS and A/V apps, especially simultaneously. You can have a lot more layers/filters in PS and apps open with snappy operation.
Also a few of my games reached 3.5GB used, 4GB will probably be sufficient but 8GB would be better for your needs. BF3 looks like a resource hog, plan ahead.

Last edited:
I am very pleased with the STP67, and I was running a RE3 before. I have not had any problems except for sleep/hibernate, no problems with CP prob, and I just received the B3 replacement. No probs with the replacement. I wanted maximus too, but price and availability forced me to go with STP67, but glad I did. BTW I do not think the armor is just a gimmick, as it does make a diff when a fan is added to the mix.

i've got a Sabertooth running w/o the fan, and an H50, temps are perfectly fine like this.....

The armor isn't a gimmick.

4-1.png

Also:
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/asus_sabertooth_p67_motherboard_review,6.html

I am building my first custom PC. I chose the i5 2500k with the sabertooth p67. Can't wait to get it all together! The p67 boards have been hard to find in stock due to the recall. I chose the sabertooth because it was in stock (supposedly). I just placed the order today.
- Also ordered the 50mm x 20 fan for the board that Tekneek referred to -

Here are the other components I am putting with it. Hope I have spec'd it out OK for mostly Adobe CS5 use.

8gb (2 x 4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (will eventually get more)
Corsair 850HX PSU
EVGA GTX 470 graphics card
Antec Lanboy Air case
(Then a couple of HDD and optical drives)
Win 7 64 bit Enterprise

hi all

im going to get the Asus Sabertooth P67 and i7 2600k and the Noctua NH-D14 cooler
i wont the G.Skill Ripjaws 8 gig memory
will the memory fit in ? as the memory it tall does the cooler go over one the memory slots so its hard to put the memory in ? as the cooler is very big if i cant get the memory in what memory should i use ?

thanks all
lee

I plan on the 2500k and Sabertooth p67 as well. Along with the Noctua NH-D14.

I'm just worried about the ram and the Noctua NH-D14 working together nicely. :D

You might have to mount it up/down. My G.Skill Ripjaws X barely fits with a Corsair A70 mounted left/right. The memory clears the heatsink just fine, but the fan mount almost blocks the 2nd and 4th memory slots, which fortunately are the recommended slots to use for two sticks.

Back