P67 Compatible with IVY Bridge

maxkilla

n00b
It's 1155 pin compatible, needs new BIOS
Intel finally came to its senses to use the same socket and make the 22nm Ivy Bridge pin and software compatible to Sandy Bridge x67 boards, and this happens to be the chipset that is affected with a huge embarrassment and SATA 2 recall bug. Now that is ironic.

The big news that P67 and H67 boards will support Ivy Bridge 22nm processors after BIOS and firmware updates is not as cool as it would have been if Intel didn’t mess these chipsets up.

Still there is a hope, as of April all boards powered with H67 and P67 will be bug free and with a BIOS update, they will be able to support Ivy Bridge 22nm processors. So once you get a functional bug free P67 or H67, you can expect to be able to plug Ivy into it and after new BIOS flash, they should just work.

This is what Intel told its various partners and this is the plan for now, but this bug can change a lot of minds and can affect just about any decision.

Intel also told to its special few that Ivy Bridge on Sugar Bay (6 series ) based platforms will require firmware and BIOS update and it also tells them that Q65, Q67 and B65 cheaper chipsets, won't support Ivy Bridge.

As we said, irony. Intel finally makes a good move and decides to keep the same socket and motherboards compatible with the future 22nm processors, only to have the platform affected by its biggest chipset recall in years.

It's SATA3 and it's not that big of a deal. The workaround works perfect and it's only 5% over years. Once rev B3 comes in march/april timeframe, this bug will not exist. Sandy Bridge is awesome.

If the past is any indication, we might get see Ivy Bridge 1155 pass the old 3.8ghz mark, the same way the 45nm Core 2 chips had a solid 30% increase in clock speed over their 65nm predecessors.

So, how is this different from Nehalem and Westmere? Nehalem being the new architecture at the time needed a new board and the die shrink Westmere fit in those first gen I7 boards (1366/1156). Why would you expect different with Sandy Bridge being the new architecture and Ivy Bridge being the die shrink on second gen I7 (2011/1356/1155)? Haswell is to be the next arcitecture and the one most likely to need new boards again and the Rockwell die shrink on future sockets.

I am looking forward to Z68 boards but I question why there is only 2 out of 6 ports that are SATA gen3 and no on die USB3, unlike AMD's new south bridges (sb850 has 6 SATA gen3 but not the USB3, theres an announcement that the next south bridge will have native USB3 also). And with PCI express 3.0 lanes being on the chip would that upgrade the 1155 boards to 3.0 or will they revert to 2.0 speeds with Ivy bridge? Roadmaps I have seen show the three channel and four channel RAM cpus having PCI express 3.0 and the dual channel RAM chips still using PCI express 2.0. Not sure why Intel would split that feature during design.

Last edited:
So, how is this different from Nehalem and Westmere? Nehalem being the new architecture at the time needed a new board and the die shrink Westmere fit in those first gen I7 boards. Why would you expect different with Sandy Bridge being the new architecture and Ivy Bridge being the die shrink? Haswell is to be the next arcitecture and the one most likely to need new boards again.

Sandy to Ivy is the same as Conroe to Wolfdale or Nehalem to Westmere.

I wonder if Ivy Bridge will bring some hexa-core options for LGA1155.

This is purely speculation, but it might be possible to see some I5 style 6 cores without hyperthreading etc if Bulldozer 4 module 8 core chips offer stiff enough competition though Intel I7 style 6 and 8 cores with hyperthreading will most likely stay in the high end sockets

Ivybridge is supposed to make 4 core the base for CPUs I believe (no more dual cores). So it wouldn't be surprising to see a 4/6 core split for 1155, and 2011 will become a 6/8 split.

Hyperthreading I think will still exist, one of the advantages of HT is actually it takes relatively very little die real estate to implement.

Though I'm wondering whether the lower pin count will limit things.

HT adds heat to the processor core, I somehow think that HT will go by the wayside when Intel decides to launch hexa processors. Also I would speculate that if this embarrassment had not happened that we would have seen a new chipset and pin count for the next set of processors. They just can't help themselves but to keep changing crap around to milk as much as possible out of the market.

Socket 1155 is meant to support Ivy Bridge if they do however depends on how good Bulldozer is (Intel never bothered to release a 32nm quadcore i7 based on Gulftown), hopefully Amd gives them some competition.

As for 6 core cpu's for socket 1155? Sorry, but I would bet good money the Intel wont release a 6 core processor for this platform. Intel is following a formula (and has been for a while), of 2 cores per memory channel, so it you want more cores you need to look at another socket.

HT adds heat to the processor core, I somehow think that HT will go by the wayside when Intel decides to launch hexa processors. Also I would speculate that if this embarrassment had not happened that we would have seen a new chipset and pin count for the next set of processors. They just can't help themselves but to keep changing crap around to milk as much as possible out of the market.

Intel has had hex-core CPU's out for quite a while. I have mixed feelings about the value of HT, yes in can show a performance improvement but there are instances where it just doesn't skile (SQL server for example). I don't think the recall is quite as bad as first thought, it's now believed to be 5% effected or around double the normal failure rate over 3 years.

Incidentally the reason cpu manufactures have been changing sockets so much recently is the migration of motherboard components to the cpu (latest being the clock generators). Hopefully one day you may get your wish.

Back