P5W64 Pro, RAM/CPU or mobo upgrade for Vista?

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
I have been running a P5W64 Pro with an E6600 (stock speeds) and 4GB of DDR2 533 (Kingston Value RAM) since ~Nov 2006 if memory serves right. When I bought that setup I had Windows XP 64 in mind, but there were all sorts of issues with it not properly recognizing something or other on the mobo, as well as it giving me grief over my Acrea 1210 controller.

Now it's time for me to move that machine to Vista, and I want to use 8GB of RAM as a bunch of the stuff I do on that box would benefit from and take advantage of more memory.

The question becomes whether I should do ahead and get 8GB of speedy DDR2 667 and plug an E8500 in there, or whether there's some performance benefit in newer chipsets that would justify replacing the motherboard?

The board has performed flawlessly and I couldn't be more happy with it (other than the Win XP 64 install issue, never tried it again after the first few days though). I am not into overclocking, I need that machine to run stable, and preferably quicker than it does now. I just can't really see (uneducated subjective opinion) that a new chipset board would do me a whole lot of good though. As someone is sure to ask; This isn't a gaming rig, it runs a variety of desktop apps that are either memory intensive, CPU intensive, disk I/O intensive, or all of the above.

Back