P5Q WS and Realtek RTL8168/8111 Problem - Need Help

I'm having trouble with the Realtek RTL8168/8111 NIC on my new P5Q WS build (see sig). First of all, the (64-bit) drivers on Asus' site and those on the CD that shipped with the MB failed to install - the installer completed, but the network adapters remained driverless; attempting to install the driver manually gave an error.

The newest drivers from Realtek did install, but now I am unable to transfer more than ~50MB over my GbE network. I will initiate a copy, the first few MB will copy over fine (at ~20-40MB/s), and then it will slow down, stop and time out.

What should I do? I've tried installing older versions of the driver in hopes that it was just a problem with the current one, I've ran the Realtek diagnostic utility (no problems detected), I've ruled out the router, cable and switch from being a problem... I'm out of ideas :mad:

At least I can get online, but I need to be able to transfer large files across my network. Any suggestions for a solution?

__

First thing I would do is try out a spare PCI nic if you have one and see if that works.

If you don't have one laying around, how are your transfer rates to other computers on the network? Is this a new piece of network cable you are using?

First thing I would do is try out a spare PCI nic if you have one and see if that works.
I don't, unfortunately. I'd rather not immediately resort to throwing money at this problem to solve it, but if it comes to that, I'll probably just pick one of these up and call it a day. I'm not giving up yet, though!

If you don't have one laying around, how are your transfer rates to other computers on the network? Is this a new piece of network cable you are using?
I only have my laptop to test with right now, but I've had it long enough to know it's not the problem. And yes, I did try a different cable just for kicks - no luck.

I just bought this board for the purpose of upgrading to Vista 64 bit so I'm very interested in this thread. I looked at release notes for the NIC driver (on the CD that came with the board) and found this:

If manually install only choose the driver path, 8168C advance options could not appear. This is because OS choose 8168B options for the 8168C device. If you want install manually without auto installer, please install by 'Have Disk' and then choose 8168C.

Are you using the auto-installer or installing manually?

Also, I noticed the driver on ASUS's download site is V5.686.103.2008 (or so the site says - download failed - when will ASUS fix their slow site?). The latest driver on Realtek's site is 6.208 dated 8/25/08 (with auto installer of same version and date).

Which driver are you using? How are you installing it?

I had success using the latest drivers from Realtek's site, both with the installer and manually. Neither way worked for the drivers Asus provided. It turns out my file copying problem was with Vista and my ESET Firewall, not the NIC.

Good to hear. I'll post my results when I get the system built. Memory should arrive next week.

Same thing happened to me in Vista 64 with drivers on disc for gigabyte ep43-ds3l. Updated ones from realtek site fixed it.

Back