• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

P5K-VM and graphics card

Camberwell

Gawd
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
961
I am looking to get a graphics card for my mobo, probably a 9600GT. Having looked again just now at the mobo, will one of these card fit easily enough? It looks like the Northbridge might get in the way, or would this only be the case for a dual slot cooler card?
The two cards I'm considering are the XFX 9600GT XT and the MSI N9600GT-T2D512-OC (dual slot).

Thanks!
 
I put a new 8800GTS 512 in a qpack2 on this board, and the tail end of the card sits right on top of one of the SATA plugs (plug 1 or 0, which ever is first). I replaced the SATA cable with one that has a right-angle connector, and it all fit. A bit snug, but it works.
 
Does the P5E-VM have the same layout as the P5K-VM? I can lose one sata port if I have to, so it would be no problem for me...
 
I put a new 8800GTS 512 in a qpack2 on this board, and the tail end of the card sits right on top of one of the SATA plugs (plug 1 or 0, which ever is first).

In a P5K-VM? I have one, and my 8800GTS doesn't block any SATA ports. A long PCI card in the outermost slot might, but I don't see how a PCI-Express graphics card (even dual-slot) would.
 
In a P5K-VM? I have one, and my 8800GTS doesn't block any SATA ports. A long PCI card in the outermost slot might, but I don't see how a PCI-Express graphics card (even dual-slot) would.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. I just read that the pcb for the MSI card was 22.8 cm long, and on a board that is only 24.4cm long, I was worried about how it might fit...
 
I have a 8800GTS and a 8800GT on my two P5K-VM mobos and no problems with blocked ports.
 
Well, the reason his 8800GTS blocks ports is because his is the 512MB and that has a HSF that covers the entire card. My friend had a 640MB and upgraded to a 512MB and he had to move his SATA plugs because of the new VC.
 
I've got the following set up on this board in a GZ-M1

Asus P5k-VM
Intel Q6600
4GB OCZ Platinium
2 x 250GB HDD SATA
8800GTS 512mb XFX AlphaDog
Corsair HX520 Modular PSU
SATA DVD-RW

As you can see, I've had no trouble with the SATA ports.. Just NB temperatures.
 
Back
Top