I built it for him back in July - specs:

Asus P5K-E WiFi-AP
Core 2 Duo E6600
2GB OCZ DDR2 1066
BFG 8800GTS 320MB
250GB WD SATA
18X Samsung DVD-RW SATA
Vista Home Premium 32bit

Last week he started getting random crashes in 3D apps (mainly WoW) BSOD stop errors after installing new drivers etc...

Tonight I tried to just clean the system out software & driver wise and make sure everything was in working order and up to date. Noticed his BIOS was a couple versions behind so I dl'ed the newest and ran AsusUpdate. The flash went just fine, it completed and verified etc. Asus Update said to restart, clicked OK, Vista went through what looked like a normal shutdown etc. Just before the reboot should have happened though Vista threw a stop error that said "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" at the top and then rebooted.

I get no POST screen or video signal of any kind now, the system will turn on, fans power up etc, but it just sits there. I tried clearing the CMOS by taking the battery out and capping the jumper - nothing. Tried reseating the video card and RAM - nothing.

Did the BIOS hose here somehow even though it said the flash had completed successfully? His system worked perfectly fine until about a week ago when all these errors started out of nowhere... Really dreading having to try to RMA it with Asus, it's probably gonna take forever and I'm sure Fry's isn't gonna swap the mobo for us this long after purchase...

Thanks, any help is appreciated!

Anyone?

Can someone at least tell us the quickest way to get an ASUS board RMAed? I couldn't even find a phone number for it on their site...

Anyone?

Can someone at least tell us the quickest way to get an ASUS board RMAed? I couldn't even find a phone number for it on their site...

I think you just killed the board with the AsusUpdate. You should never never use it and use EZ Flash instead.

You will have to contact ASUS and RMA this board to get it fixed.

Why do they even make that thing available if it kills boards? I've used it a million times on my A8N-SLI with no issue.

Anyone have an actual phone number for ASUS RMA dept?

I think the quickest way is to fill out the form online. If you call, they ask you the same questions and you have to spell everything for them while they fill out that same form, lol.

http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx
Tel: 812-282-2787

Leave them without any questions so they can issue an RMA # immediately. It took 2 weeks for my last Asus RMA.

We bought a new board at Fry's tonight and it does the exact same thing. What else could cause this - bad video card?

We bought a new board at Fry's tonight and it does the exact same thing. What else could cause this - bad video card?

Do you have another video card on hand ?

Heh, it makes me wonder if someone swapped that board from Fry's, lol. I don't trust Fry's inventory much, lol.

It sounds to me that your RAM has taken a dump! I have never been able to get any OCZ ram to run on my P5K-E or my P5B Deluxe at all. That would explain the BSOD's and the final Vista message error about memory management!

I'd put money that if you pick up some other decent ram such as Corsair or something other than OCZ that it'll come back :)

Yah, like the above poster said, try different RAM. You could also try another vidcard. Do you have another PSU you could try it with?

We put his video card in my system last night and it worked fine... Gonna take out my PSU and try it in his this morning...

Unfortunately have no way to test the RAM or CPU since all the other systems in the house are older DDR1 AMD machines... If it's not the PSU I guess we're gonna get new RAM and try that and then finally the CPU since there's probably no refunds on opened CPUs. The OCZ RAM worked fine since July btw...

This is probably the strangest PC problem I've ever seen.

Ok cool. I really doubt it's the CPU though - no visible scorch marks or anything like that on it and shouldn't the board throw up error code beeps if there's a CPU or RAM issue?

Ok cool. I really doubt it's the CPU though - no visible scorch marks or anything like that on it and shouldn't the board throw up error code beeps if there's a CPU or RAM issue?

RAM, yes. CPU, no.

Ok, we have replaced the Mobo, CPU and PSU today and are still getting the same exact issue.

We took the RAM out and booted the system and we get error code beeps on both the new and the old mobo. With either or both memory sticks in, we just get a blank screen and no initialization of the BIOS etc...

I assume it's safe to say the RAM is at fault here?

Yes, it might be the RAM. sometime, it will die during a certain action and you will think it's something else.

In my case, one set died just when I decided to shutdown then reboot so it's not easy to debug this but I had another set on hand so I was able to determine the sticks was faulty.

I can venture to guess that after a BIOS update, it changed the vdimm voltage to something the set doesn't like and it will just die or refuse to boot.

Back