• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

P5E-VM DO and SG03 heatsinks.

elkodust

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 9, 2008
Messages
78
So Ive got this motherboard inside of the SG03 and im wondering what are my options in terms of cpu heatsings. I have an intel core 2 duo processor (E7200). Im not looking for overclocking, but my stuff is running a bit hot, so I figure if itll protect my investment I might as well put some money down on this. I was thinking of this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106113

Its small enough to fit the SG03, and it seems good enough. If anyone can recommend me something good that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
 
Double-check the mounted height of the heatsink. The SUGO cases only have a gap of about 78mm from the top of the processor to the bottom (grill) of the PSU fan. There's a possibility that the Zalman CPU cooler, with the requisite Socket 775 mounting kit attached, may exceed that height limit.

The other problem you'll face is that, because the CPU cooler is so close to the PSU fan, you may lose some cooling performance due to the "vacuum effect" created by the CPU and PSU fans running at the same time. (They're running in opposite directions -- the CPU fan is trying to push cool air onto the processor while the PSU fan is trying to draw hot air away from the case -- and are fighting for all of the available air in the limited air space.) The extent of the "vacuum effect" varies wildly, and I can't give you any good estimate.

The "best" heatsinks you could use in this case are passive types like the Silverstone NT06 series heatsinks. The problem then becomes that the PSU fan has the primary job of drawing all of the hot air away from the processor. This actually creates two problems: most PSU fans can't draw all of the hot air away from the CPU on their own, and by using the PSU fan for that single role, you have to find other ways to cool the rest of the components. (The SG03 solves, or attempts to solve, this problem by using two 120mm fans in the front.)

Another CPU cooler you could use is the Scythe Shuriken. It has a lower profile and uses a (somewhat) larger fan than the Zalman CL-P0478. I don't know how well it would perform inside the SG03, but it was highly lauded in a few reviews.
 
The NT06-Lite is probably the most common heatsink you'll see used around HF forums with the SG03. You can mount a fan under the cooling fins and have it blow upwards into the psu. The most common psu used with the SG03 I have seen is the short cabled Silverstone 500w and the two Corsair units (HX520w & HX620w).

Since its a SFF case your overclocking potential wont be as large as the full size ATX rigs but you will get a pretty decent overclock although I'm not sure how good of the DO mobo is. I'm guessing its nothing like the P5K-VM or the P5E-VM HDMI as far as overclocking goes.
 
Im not looking for overclock. And I hope this board isnt too bad, Lol. Yeah, I only have one fan in the front though, but ill have that fixed tomorrow.
 
Sorry for the bump, but any more suggestions? Im thinking of the scythe shuriken.
 
i use a zalman 8000cnps in my vinster m@x which is ALOT smaller than most sff cases, the zalman 8700 would also work in the sg03 i believe. both hs's are extremely quiet. the m@x has about the same amount of head room (80mm)
IMG_0223.jpg

207.jpg


hope this helps!;)
 
i use a zalman 8000cnps in my vinster m@x which is ALOT smaller than most sff cases, the zalman 8700 would also work in the sg03 i believe. both hs's are extremely quiet. the m@x has about the same amount of head room (80mm)
IMG_0223.jpg

207.jpg


hope this helps!;)

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, i prolly will get one those two. It seems like they would work alot better than the stock cooler.
 
Hello!
I'm new to this forum, please forget my pore english.

My rig is as follow:
SG03, with Seasonic S12-II 430W, and 2 Noctua 120mm 800rpm fore intake
Q6600 with NT06-lite
8800GT with Accelero S1 Rev.2

As I see it, the best oppitons for CPU-cooling in this case is:
* NT06-E, or the "old" one, NT06-lite with 4 heat pipes, and turn the PSU to such through the NT06.
* Zalman 8700NT and turn the PSU to such fresh air from the outside.

I have like the first oppition, and it give me a load temp around 70 degrees C with a clock ~3Ghz.

Swed
 
Back
Top