P5B Deluxe x1 mode bug, post your working settings

sabregen

Fully [H]
All,

I know that this is a well documented "feature" of the P5B Deluxe line, and I need to see if there's any sort of consistancy to the x1 mode bug. I thought I had stable settings twice now, but it keeps resetting, and it takes about an hour to find a new temporary fix to get the board to go back into x16 mode. Please post in the following format:

Revision of board (specific model #):
BIOS revision:
PCIE bus speed:
PCIE/SATA Voltage:
Northbridge settings (Force x1, Link Speed, and C.G.I.):
Southbridge setting:
Video card model:

Thanks to all that repond, in advance. This is really driving me nuts, and of course, it's always when I want to play a game. Hopefully we can help eachother out.

Sabregen

No one else has this issue, despite that it is well documented? If this has been done already (the posting settings), please LMK. I could really use some help. Here's whaat I have had working in the past:

Revision of board (specific model #): Deluxe/AP-Wifi
BIOS revision: 1004
PCIE bus speed: 100
PCIE/SATA Voltage: 1.7
Northbridge settings (Force x1, Link Speed, and C.G.I.): no, Fast, Disabled
Southbridge setting: X1/X2
Video card model: eVGA 8800GTS 320MB SC

Revision of board (specific model #): Deluxe/AP-Wifi
BIOS revision:1004
PCIE bus speed: 110
PCIE/SATA Voltage: 1.6
Northbridge settings (Force x1, Link Speed, and C.G.I.): no, Faster, Disabled
Southbridge setting: Auto
Video card model: eVGA 8800GTS 320MB SC

However, since yesterday (this x1 thing seems to happen when i flip the switch on the main PSU...then I have to generate a new temporary working spec) I cannot find a stable setting. Everything has resulted in x1. Here's what I've tried

PCIE bus speed: 100-110
PCIE/SATA Voltage: 1.8v

PCIE bus speed: 100-105
PCIE/SATA Voltage: 1.5v

PCIE bus speed: 100-105
PCIE/SATA Voltage: 1.6v

i forget which board it was refering to; but i heard someone having this problem and someone suggested lowering the mch voltage and it worked. also do you have the card in the first PCIx slot? it needs to be in the top slot to run in 16 lanes

post the specs on the rest of your components, it might help (cpu, ram, speeds, voltages, timings)

I've had x1 bug in my p5b at first. But I did some fiddling, and it hasn't come back since. It was either because I gave it an initial vmch (vnb) boost to 1.55v. Or it could have been because I turned on force peg lock x1, booted, then turned it off. But either way, I can go up to 500fsb on 1.25vmch and have x16.

Asus P5B-Deluxe/AP-Wifi edition BIOS rev 1101 (flashed yesterday to see if it would help, it didn't)
Intel E4300@ 3195 @ 1.525v (BIOS setting)
2x1GB Buffalo FireStix PC2-8000 @1065 @2.15v
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB SC (in the black, or PCI-E #1 slot)
ATI Theater 550Pro PCI-Express (in blue, or PCI-E #2 slot)
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty (in last PCI Slot)
ThermalTake Toughpower 750w
ThermalTake ToughPower Express 250w

Settings are posting in the above posts. Additional voltages, as follows:

CPU: 1.525v
Northbridge: 1.65v
FSB Termination: 1.45v
RAM: 2.15v
Southbridge: 1.5v (PCI-E Speed 100-105), 1.6v (PCI-E Speed 100-105), 1.8v (PCI-E Speed 100-110)

Ziddey > what video card do you have, and which revision of the board? It seems that what's going on is that when I flip the power switch on the back of the ToughPower 750w is when the reset occurs. I tried for two hours last night, and it was completely futile. I tried (1Mhz at a time) from PCI Speeds 100-105 at 2 different voltages, and then cranked the SB voltage all the way up to 1.8v, and went from 100-110, but no luck. Also, I have tried the x1 force enable, then boot, and then disabled...no dice there either.

"Someone throw me a freakin bone here!"

bump! still need help here, please!

Update: When I booted my machine this morning, it was at x16 mode, randomly. The last thing that I did before I turned it off the night before was to try a new PCI Express bus speed, but it did not work at that time. Is it possible that a second reboot after chaning the settings is required in order for it to kick back to x16? Something is really weird about all of this. I can't find any consistancy. All of my "working" settings have been fine until I turned power off at the PSU, after shutting Windows down, and the mix of settings that have produced a "working" x16 link are all over the place (voltage, PCI speed, PEG link mode, and C.G.I settings have all been different each time it decided to work at x16 again). Someone lend a hand?

When I had this problem someone on this forum said to set the NB voltage to 1.45v. I did and that fixed it.

I had this problem after switching to an HD3870 from a 7800GTX 256mb. Original settings that worked with the 7800GTX were:
P5B Deluxe
E6300 CPU: 2.8GHz (400x7)
RAM: 800MHz
Vcore: 1.3250
Vmem: 1.9
Other volts auto.

I tried just about every other setting, but nothing fixed it. Going to stock speeds fixed it, so I tried going to 3.2 Ghz (457x7) and that fixed it. Volts are:
Vcore: 1.4125
Vmem: 2.0
VNB: 1.45
VFSB: 1.4

Changing the volts at 400fsb didn't help, but after I went up to 457 (430 also worked) it was fine.

Back