• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

P5B Deluxe :: Hot NB

StudioXcel

n00b
Joined
Aug 23, 2006
Messages
18
Okay... Here's the problem. I have my new-ish rig and I am starting to overclock it. You can see the setup in my sig, but basically it's E6400 on P5B Deluxe, with OCZ Platinum DDR2-800 RAM. At stock speeds, the system is Orthos stable for several hours, but when I bumped it up to 400 FSB (3.2Ghz), I get memory errors, despite it running at stock speeds (at a different ratio mind you). When it's overclocked, the NB heatsink/pipe is almost unbearably hot, while my CPU temps are maybe 4 degrees hotter than stock load. Does anyone know if this is an issue with this (or similar) motherboards? I have heard C2Ds in general are killer on the NB, but would that account for system instability?

As an idea, I am looking it watercooling, and I'll add another block on the NB if need be. The heatpipe goes to another series of fins, which appear to be cooling the MOSFET (I believe). Do I need an additional cooler for it, or is it fine without the heatsink above it.
 
Try upping the vcore to get things stable at 3.2g.

As far as cooling the NB, I went with a Swiftech MCX-159. I don't think the mosfets really need the heat pipe. Notice that the heat pipe only covers one bank of them. The other bank has no cooling besides what blows across them normally. So, I ripped off the heat pipe, installed the Swiftech and called it good.
 
First off, that board has problems with posting between 349 and 400FSB

Try 401 FSB.

And yes, it gets hot as hell... But are your voltages all still on "Auto"

It turns out, by leaving my voltages on Auto, at 500FSB, my NB was getting the highest possible voltage... Yet it was stable at the lowest fixed setting.

Try setting all the voltages (NB, FSB, MCP, but not CPU or RAM) to their lowest fixed values to reduce NB heat... You shouldnt need to increase them until 450fsb.
 
Sideroxylon said:
Try upping the vcore to get things stable at 3.2g.
I don't think that's the issue, because it only errors (memory) when the NB is hot. I doubt tossing more voltage at the problem will fix this heat issue... No offense.

Arcygenical said:
First off, that board has problems with posting between 349 and 400FSB

Try 401 FSB.

And yes, it gets hot as hell... But are your voltages all still on "Auto"

It turns out, by leaving my voltages on Auto, at 500FSB, my NB was getting the highest possible voltage... Yet it was stable at the lowest fixed setting.

Try setting all the voltages (NB, FSB, MCP, but not CPU or RAM) to their lowest fixed values to reduce NB heat... You shouldnt need to increase them until 450fsb.
Wow. Odd that I never came across this before, but I'll take your word for it. I am running the newest BIOS if that matters. I'll also try setting the other voltages manually. I only have the CPU and RAM voltages set to stock, with everything else on auto. I'll try your suggestions see where it gets me.
 
Depending upon what kind of error you're getting in Orthos, it may actually be the RAM settings and not the NB. Although running it hot can't be good for it in the long run, either.
 
Wow. Odd that I never came across this before, but I'll take your word for it. I am running the newest BIOS if that matters. I'll also try setting the other voltages manually. I only have the CPU and RAM voltages set to stock, with everything else on auto. I'll try your suggestions see where it gets me.

Yep, lots of reviews note that FSB gap, and I can post at 500mhz, but not at 385 FSB.

Same board.
 
Okay. I'm now running 410 FSB (3.28Ghz) 40 minutes Orthos stable with memory at DDR2-820 4-5-4-15. When I tried to go to 425 FSB, I got BSOD on Windows boot. I have my NB voltage set manually at lowest possible, as well as memory and CPU set to stock voltages. My VCORE is set at 1.35, but BIOS and CPU-Z both report 1.312 +/- 0.08. What voltage do you think it is running at?

I'll let it run Orthos a while longer at 410 FSB to be 100% sure it's fine, but I await any suggestions.
 
Back
Top