P5B Deluxe cold boot issue when overclocking?

rschissler

Weaksauce
I have a Asus P5B Deluxe plugged into a surge strip. Regularly when after I shut down from Windows, I turn off the surge strip (my monitor is also connected to it). When starting, I turn on the surge strip, start up and everything is fine.

However, when overclocking it with a Intel E6400, it boots different. The system will startup for a second or two, then turn off for a second or two, then start again and boot normally into Windows. I used all variations of settings for overclocking, with no difference in the boot issue, so I see know reason to post voltages, FSB, enabled/disabled, etc. I've run mild overclocks all the way up to 3.2GHz with no errors in Orthos.

After further experimenting, I find a couple scenarios when I don't have this startup issue.

When I do a restart from Windows it reboots with no issue.

When I leave the surge strip turned on and the motherboard is in its "soft-off" mode, where the Asus Power LED is the color blue, it starts with no issue.

It's like the system needs that slight bit of standby power to start with no issue. Is this normal, or is it best to leave surge strip turned on and the computer in "soft-off" mode? Also, I have the Corsair 520watt power supply, so I can't believe it is because of a weak power supply.

I think they all do that, I know mine does and I have asked that questions too,no problems..

Back