P4R800-VM, Anybody with experience with it?

TheAMAZINGNorad

Weaksauce
Dad got another 2.4 533 ES from the lab at work. The athlon 700 has served my sister well, but she wants to play Return of the King and FF11 so its time to be delegated to server duty. Anyways, this board looks like a good alternative. The onboard video should be better than the Viper V770 Ultra she got now untill she can afford a new AGP card. My question though, does it support overclocking??? Just wonderin. O, it says on the ASUS website that it has advanced power features for future intel processors. That mean it wil support prescott? If an ybody has this board just woindering what you thought of it. Thanks!!

Board has no overclocking support. On the upside the board has native SATA support.

No the board does not have any overclocking features. The board does not give you control of memory timings other than slow and fast. There is no way to disable hyperthreading so if you use a hyperthreading cpu you must use a compatable OS which means XP or some versions of Linux. Suppled driver disc with mine would not install under XP I had to download the latest mainboard drivers and burn to disc on my main box which I used to install mainboard and lan drivers. I haven't really tried playing any games on mine I use the box in my sig for gaming but the benchmarks I did run are as follows. 3dmark2001 5204 at default settings, UT2K3 flyby 44.53/botmatch 30.23, Quake 3 1024x768 76.6fps.
These are run with a 2.6C and 512 megs of generic PC3200 with 128 megs assigned to the onboard video under winXP. I haven't really tried yet to run a seperate AGP card in it yet.
Not a bad integrated board in my opinion but certainly not an enthusiests board by any means.
And no it has no SATA support.

Like I said not bad for an integrated board. 2D looks good on my Sharp LCD 3D will probably satisfy a casual gamer who isn't looking to play the latest and greatest games available with all the eye candy on. Seems stable enough I run it 24/7 running Folding@Home. I think the next thing I am going to do is throw a soundcard in it the onboard sounds relatively OK but I want to free up the few extra cpu clock cycles:D
I really just threw the box together as I hadn't run an intel since I ditched my P3 750. I'll probably replace the board in a month or 2 with something that offers some overcloacking features. Board layout is fairly tidy but cheap looking the AGP retention mechanism is basicly a bent over piece of plastic and looks like something from a CrackerJack box.

Back