• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

P4P800 Will not boot with memory divider

ransquare

n00b
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
4
Hi, I just got some Hynix DDR500 from someone. It's actually made by Hynix and is only available in Korea. It's a 2x512MB kit.

Whenever I set a memory divider in the BIOS, it will not boot. I reached 285 FSB 3:2 with my generic Nanya PC3200 1x512 before but with this one I can at most reach 265 1:1. It's really weird, no matter how low the RAM speed it just won't start (or POST) with a divider. I have 2.85V vdimm which is the same that the person who sold it to me used to get to 284 5:4 on an ABIT board with the same processor (a P4 2.4C).

The P4 is on stock voltage and at 265 1:1, it's rock solid. My board is an Asus P4P800 Deluxe. Any ideas? I've tried enabling and disabling Asus' version of PAT, I disabled Turbo, I adjusted voltages, nothing works if I put a memory divider.

Usually when I turn on my computer, the CPU fan starts at full speed and then throttles down. But when I try to set a memory divider, it doesn't do that. Which is weird, it seems to imply that the BIOS or whatever isn't loading at all. I basically have to turn it off, wait 15 seconds, and turn it on again (at which point it will have reset itself to stock settings as is normal following a "failed overclock")

Any ideas? Input much appreciated.
 
Still wondering. Putting it in single channel or even removing a DIMM doesn't help either. This is really weird.
 
I one question for you.....I have a p4p800 SE and I can't find the ram:cpu ratio in the bios where can i change it because i wanna put it at 3:2 because my ram sucks and it can't keep up with my cpu because right now its a 225 1:1 and i want to go higher
 
Ollin said:
I one question for you.....I have a p4p800 SE and I can't find the ram:cpu ratio in the bios where can i change it because i wanna put it at 3:2 because my ram sucks and it can't keep up with my cpu because right now its a 225 1:1 and i want to go higher
I've never seen anything other than my P4P800 DLX but it's in "Jumperfree->Memory Speed/Frequency (or something like that) and 400 MHz=1:1, 320=5:4 and 266=3:2. Took me quite a few failed boots to figure that one out ;)
 
Nope it doesn't boot damn :(

I tried to get it higher than 3.4ghz I guess its because my ram. The only stable boot is 3.4ghz
@225mhz which runs at 1:1.
 
Ollin said:
Nope it doesn't boot damn :(

I tried to get it higher than 3.4ghz I guess its because my ram. The only stable boot is 3.4ghz
@225mhz which runs at 1:1.

Weird. I ran it perfectly at 285 FSB 3:2 (3.4GHz). It was very nice and stable, but then I got new PC4000 RAM and though it'll run at 267FSB (3.2 GHz) it just won't work with a memory divider! I still get about the same performance though.
 
Back
Top