P4P800 CPU Ratio

v1p3r-386-

Limp Gawd
I already posted this except accidentally in the amd forum. I can't seem to get it moved or deleted so I am starting a new thread here. I am trying to get my ram to run @ a 1:1 ratio with the fsb. To do this I believe I need to change the cpu ratio (according to manual) but I don't seem to have that option. I am running the bios that my board shipped with (it's a very old bios) maybe I need to flash it to a newer revision? I don't know how to do this, as I am kind of a noob. Any help would be appreciated.

I still use 1009 for a bios on mine, but if I remember correctly, you'll have to not let the mobo auto select a frequency for the RAM. When I used to OC it I noticed that I wasn't setting a manual value for the RAM and after about 20% overclock it was dropping the RAM frequency down to accomodate for the CPU increase. I went back and selected a specific freq. for the RAM and it stayed at 1:1. I haven't been in there for some time, but I know it's a few options down when you do the custom settings vs. the AI overclock stuff.

ATFCharger said:
I still use 1009 for a bios on mine, but if I remember correctly, you'll have to not let the mobo auto select a frequency for the RAM. When I used to OC it I noticed that I wasn't setting a manual value for the RAM and after about 20% overclock it was dropping the RAM frequency down to accomodate for the CPU increase. I went back and selected a specific freq. for the RAM and it stayed at 1:1. I haven't been in there for some time, but I know it's a few options down when you do the custom settings vs. the AI overclock stuff.
If you don't let it atuo select the frequency for the ram what do you set it as? In my bios I only have the option of setting it as 266,333,and400.

Judging from your sig, you've got 3200 RAM, so use the 400 setting. Just remember that the RAM is already maxed out for stable frequency at this setting. The numbers will go up and you'll see it in a program like CPUID, but if you start to become less stable in the OS, consider dropping down to 333 and continuing on. Only downfall to lowering the memory's speed is that it will change your CPU ratio as you've already seen to make up for the increase in overclock, the memory just runs slower then.

ATFCharger said:
Judging from your sig, you've got 3200 RAM, so use the 400 setting. Just remember that the RAM is already maxed out for stable frequency at this setting. The numbers will go up and you'll see it in a program like CPUID, but if you start to become less stable in the OS, consider dropping down to 333 and continuing on. Only downfall to lowering the memory's speed is that it will change your CPU ratio as you've already seen to make up for the increase in overclock, the memory just runs slower then.
That makes sense. So you are saying that the higher clock speed makes up for the ram running @ lower speeds?

You might want to even pick 400 for that RAM setting you guys are talking about and try to set the CPU ratio back to 14 (2800/200) for the default clock of your processor and make sure this works and you get the CPU ratio thing back before you change it. They say in the manual that setting the AI Overclock thing to manual in the Bios should make that CPU ratio appear. Of course, if your CPU is unlocked and you overclock it, I have no idea what happens as mine is still locked and it appears but I can't change it. Probably best for ATFCharger or an another overclocking person to help you out on this though. I thought I'd get in this last comment (continued from undeleted thread). Good Luck!

SkaarjMaster said:
You might want to even pick 400 for that RAM setting you guys are talking about and try to set the CPU ratio back to 14 (2800/200) for the default clock of your processor and make sure this works and you get the CPU ratio thing back before you change it. They say in the manual that setting the AI Overclock thing to manual in the Bios should make that CPU ratio appear. Of course, if your CPU is unlocked and you overclock it, I have no idea what happens as mine is still locked and it appears but I can't change it. Probably best for ATFCharger or an another overclocking person to help you out on this though. I thought I'd get in this last comment (continued from undeleted thread). Good Luck!
I don't have the cpu ratio thing, it doesn't show up even when I set the AI overclock thing to manual. About the undeleted thread, I asked for it to be moved and that didn't happen so I just reposted, and asked for someone to delete the old thread.

As with the P4P800-Deluxe, I would flash to 1014 and try it again. I'm presently using the 1014s with my Dragonslayer system.

SkaarjMaster said:
As with the P4P800-Deluxe, I would flash to 1014 and try it again. I'm presently using the 1014s with my Dragonslayer system.
This is the first comp I've ever built, how do you flash the bios? I was going to but didn't have the courage. I know there are directions on Asus's site but how do you do it?

spruce said:
wouldn't 400 = 1:1

YES. With the P4P800 and an 800fsb cpu, the 400 setting is equiv. to 1:1. 333 is 5:4, 266 is 3:2.

I used to have a P4P800. If you want to enable PAT at above 200FSB @ 1:1 then you'll need to do the Full PAT hack on it. Basically you flash the board with the boot block of a different board, then re-flash the rest of the bios with the normal P4P800 bios.

Google "Full Pat Hack" and it should bring up the info you need.

nst6563 said:
YES. With the P4P800 and an 800fsb cpu, the 400 setting is equiv. to 1:1. 333 is 5:4, 266 is 3:2.

I used to have a P4P800. If you want to enable PAT at above 200FSB @ 1:1 then you'll need to do the Full PAT hack on it. Basically you flash the board with the boot block of a different board, then re-flash the rest of the bios with the normal P4P800 bios.

Google "Full Pat Hack" and it should bring up the info you need.
Hmm seems kind of complicated. I googled it and didn't get much. How much performance am I losing by not running @ a 1:1 ratio? If it's less than like 5% I guess I will just forget about it, cause I don't want to screw up my motherboard.

v1p3r-386- said:
Hmm seems kind of complicated. I googled it and didn't get much. How much performance am I losing by not running @ a 1:1 ratio? If it's less than like 5% I guess I will just forget about it, cause I don't want to screw up my motherboard.

well, to put it in perspective...If I ran w/PAT enabled it would yield the same performance as if I'd raised the fsb by about 20Mhz w/out PAT enabled.

If you're afraid of ruining your board, don't do it. It will void the warranty by doing this mod also (even though it's just a bios flash).

here's the link to the full thread over at ABXzone by BigToe.
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showt...+a+P4P800+over+20<br />0fs<br />b...Heres+how

I don't think I'm going to risk it, it doesn't seem worth it to me. Thx for the help everyone. :D

I know with the P4P800-E the ratio for the CPU/RAM is under the RAM Frequency or whatever.

It has multiple options like:

I know that 320 is a 5:4 CPU:MEM ratio, because I'm running my FSB at 250 and my MEM at 200 on that setting.

If you set the ratio at 400, what you're effectively saying is that you want a 1:1 ratio, so any overclocking you do on the CPUs FSB you will also do on the memory bus, which for me was keeping my processor overclock limited to 3.2 on a 2.8c chip. Now I have it at 3.5 and memory is at 200 mhz until I can afford more memory.

Back