P45 and 5770 bsod on xfire enable.

newdamage1

Limp Gawd
I recently acquired two 5770's to use in my EP45-DS3R board, but I'm having a hell of a time getting it to work. Advice/Suggestions most appreciated!

testing:
Both cards work fine on their own, and in each of the slots.
Tried 13.1 , 12.8 and 11.12 drivers. (each on fresh OS installs)
Cleared bios and loaded defaults.
Attached bridge to both slots
bsod is atikmdag.sys

specs:
Gigabyte EP45-DS3R (rev 1 I believe)
Q9450
4Gb ram (1066)
500Gb hdd
Antec 650 watt made for xfire, (earth watt?)
All parts are default clocks.

questionable:
xfire bridge is from a 4850, but from my understanding the are the same.

reboot into vga mode and reinstall the latest drivers after running a reg cleaner for any remnants of the old drivers.

reboot into vga mode and reinstall the latest drivers after running a reg cleaner for any remnants of the old drivers.

There are not any old drivers, I fresh installed the OS after each of the drivers I tested. (I also did them in a single instance of the OS too, for giggles) Thanks for the suggestion though.

would try different cf bridge if possible, also possible that the cf connectors on the cards maybe damaged.

would try different cf bridge if possible, also possible that the cf connectors on the cards maybe damaged.

I was thinking the CF bridge was the culprit too, but it's the exact model they show as replacements for a wide variety of models Bridge @ newegg. The one I have was still in it's original plastic package when I got it years ago. I know, never say DOA doesn't happen, It's just not likely. I'll ask around in my local peer group if anyone has one.

What about a compatibility issue? The one chart I found,Compat chart lists the P55 as the bottom. This board is pretty old, think that could that be the case? There is also a new beta bios for this board (new as in 2009), but I'd hate to do a beta, don't want to brick a good board for a few extra FPS.... :)

compatibility issue? don't think so. p45 chipset boards are generally rock solid and supported cf from the beginning.

What about a compatibility issue? The one chart I found,Compat chart lists the P55 as the bottom. This board is pretty old, think that could that be the case? There is also a new beta bios for this board (new as in 2009), but I'd hate to do a beta, don't want to brick a good board for a few extra FPS.... :)

yeah i too was wondering if it was chipset compatibility, but a quick visit to the gigabyte page for that mobo list CF capable right out of the box

Bad X-fire connection it sounds like or PSU maybe pushing it's 12v rail out of spec under extreme load? Is it during startup or once you put a load on the system?

Did the cards just come out of bitcoin miners?

All Crossfire bridges are the same (except for length) so that isn't the cause unless it's faulty. How old is your PS? Could capacitor aging be catching up with it? I have Crossfire'd on P45 chipset boards before (ASUS P5Q-E) so I know it works.

Dumb question: Have you tried the cards individually?

Bad X-fire connection it sounds like or PSU maybe pushing it's 12v rail out of spec under extreme load? Is it during startup or once you put a load on the system?

Did the cards just come out of bitcoin miners?

The bsod happens when I click apply on enabling xfire only. Games play fine on the individual cards. (on either slot or power lead)

I did have some success right before I went to bed. I got the cards to enable with 10.11 drivers. BUT (of course) video on games tear to the point where they are unplayable.

Edit: I got a little more info on the origin of the cards, they were out of Mac Pros used in a web access lab (lol). He also said that he xfired one of the Mac's and was also using the 10.11 drivers on the bootcamp side (make sense to why it worked for me).

Soo.. that makes me think that maybe its the bios on the cards. I see tool for flashing ati cards (ATIFlash), anyone have experience doing this? I'm betting its something apple did to these cards.

Back