P4 vs XP

CSx-2011

[H]ard|Gawd
I just realized I could build a p4 system for about the same as what I paid for my DFI lan party ultra b and 2500+

LP.b + 2500+ = $260

IS7 + 2.4c = $260

The only thing that would really add to the cost is that I would need sound on the p4 system. (I was going to use soundstorm with my sony 5.1 system)

Tomorrow is the last day I can return my mobo...

What would you do?

Originally posted by CSx-2011
I just realized I could build a p4 system for about the same as what I paid for my DFI lan party ultra b and 2500+

LP.b + 2500+ = $260

IS7 + 2.4c = $260

The only thing that would really add to the cost is that I would need sound on the p4 system. (I was going to use soundstorm with my sony 5.1 system)

Tomorrow is the last day I can return my mobo...

What would you do?

I guess that is a tought one I mean having a processor giving you an extra 600MHZ+ or having some onboard sound...... Go with the freaking IS7 + 2.4c. I love my soundstorm but a Santa Cruz ain't that expensive.

I'd go with the P4 simply because of my experience with NF2. Since Barton is locked now that takes away the overclocking flexibility (minimizing bottlenecks) that I enjoy with my week 10 1700+. Overall there should be less potential headaches with the Intel setup. And NF2 fanbois, keep the flame to yourself ;)

I would go the 2.4c as these thing's are astranomical overclockers with the right ram;)
and as has been said most barton 2500+ are locked now so they have very limited potential.

Hmmn, all say p4...

I got the board from fry's..do they charge restocking fees?

This 2500+ is locked, but I have had it up to about 2.3-2.4ghz.

I have some pc3500 hyperx on the way, so I've got the ram covered.

I've had zero headaches so far with the Athlon setup, it is very fast and was a breeze to install.

The fpu and mem bandwidth on the p4 is far superior, it made me wonder.

Can a santa cruz be hooked up to my dts system and give surround sound?

Any other recommendations for a p4 board?

I also recommend the P4. You can just do the onboard sound, then if you don't like it, buy a sound card.

Unanimously p4... well, I guess I shoud run down to fry's and give it all back!

On their page it says they may take deductions on returns of mobos, cpus etc. So I may get screwed a little.. then they will put that plastic bundling on it and sell it at full price... hahaha

i wouldn't sweat it....... ull really be happy either way...... if its not a hassle to return it get the p4, im buying a 2500 because they are cheaper.... but with a board like that, its not. so get what u want man, either way im guessing its stilll a huge upgrade from what u had.

yeah... I spent a bit more than I wanted to on that board... It coems with so many goodies ( round cables, lan strap, etc) that it kinda balances out...

And yes, this new computer is a step up from sharing a computer. heh..

And I even got a uv cathode for the cool slots =( although uv on regualr stuff does look kinda cool... like tron almost.

is7 is 865... ahhh the horror...

Im typing on the barton right now, and the slots look so cool
glowing so green!!!! heheh

I will dearly miss the power and reset buttons on the board...

The trials and tribulations of a benchmark junkie!!!

lan party boards are a f*cking ripoff, the only reason to get an athlon is to save big time money, in which case you should get a standard Abit Nf7-S for 90 bucks. Why buy a 200 dollar mainboard?

It was 160 and comes wtih round cables (15) pc transpo (~20) and has many, many cool features... besides the abit and asus were 130 at fry's...

But yeah, it is a bit of a rip...

Never made it to fry's. Maybe today if they dont deduct to much I will trade for a p4.

But this thing is so fast (even at 1.83Ghz.. not to mention 2.3) , it may not be needed.

I would say get the P4, but since you already have the 2500+ I say keep that, the performance increase wont be worth the hassle and the extra money after you add restocking fees and that such.

I don't know I would keep the 2500+. I would gave got the Abit board though and with a retail Barton it comes too $184. Being locked only means that I can change the multiplier but I can still up the FSB. There was a reason why I wanted a 2.4c but it escapes me now, OC to 1Ghz FSB is really cool though.....

stupid quad pumped goodness calling me...

maybe I should just slap a pelt and a water block on this biatch and get to 2.6-2.8ghz.

Guess I'm keeping the athlon after all... Let the insane speed exploits begin... damn locked aqyfa.

Back