P4 Upgrade Question

Santos L. Halper

Limp Gawd
I currently have a 2.6 P4 Northwood running on an Abit IS7 board @ 2.86Ghz.

I used to have this proc @ 3.01, but it started getting flaky on me in WOW. So I dropped
it down. But now I feel like I'm not feeding my 6800GT enough.

What's a good upgrade path? Should I try and find a 3.2 Northwood or should I start looking
at a 3.4 Prescott? Is it even worth the upgrade?

I use my machine 50% for gaming and the other 50% for content creation apps (mainly
Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and some After Effects.)

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would definitely go the Prescott myself.I have a Prescott and a Northwood. Although I can't overclock the Prescott for some reason other people have reported some insane o/cing.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I did research too. Prescott 3.0E stepping E0. Runs @ 3.9 (260 fsb) with stock vcore and SP-94 w/stealth fan and is prime stable. Max temp 55c.

My 2.8 Northwood and my 3.0E stepping C0, both gave me stable overclock of 700mhz but I had to crank up the vcore quite a bit.

Prescotts are cheaper, easier to find, and have a higher threshhold for heat. So you probably want to get a Prescott.

But Northwoods run cooler and if you've got a crappy airflow like in a shuttle are a must.

I might be selling my 2.8C soon, thats in my shuttle. It hits 3.2Ghz easily, but was a little too hot in the shuttle.... fans were always running high speed. (should do more in a desktop case with adequate cooling)

I'm thinking about upgrading to this mobile P4 for my shuttle XPC (lower volts and heat) b/c I want a super quiet machine. (and the 6800 fan is bad enough)

PM me if you want to buy my 2.8C for $170 shipped. (its only a month old)

Pricewatch 2.8C's

Back