P4 Stock Overcloking

jnex26

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 7, 2001
Messages
3,353
Well I've just upgraded to P4 2.8 Ghz (Northwood "C") and tryed overcloking and got to 256 (3.5 Ghz) before chikeninig out.

I have the lanparty PRO875B mainboard and the cooling it's pretty much stock apart from the case which is a lain-li PC61 with window pannel and some fast flowing fans.

now my CPU only 26c and system at 31c but when overclocked things started to get warm and i'm thinking i need to get some active cooling on the northbridge.

So What's the best northbridge cooling for this board.
 
CPU at 26c with stock cooling? That seems a little insane to me, unless I'm doing something horribly wrong that's causing me to have 38c idle on a very similar setup to yours. You sure that's right? Anybody else think that's a little crazy, or am I really weird for running so hot? :p I'm not even OC'ing with the 38c idle. I want your stock fan. :p

-Enril
 
Enril...remember he has "some fast flowing fans" in that rig so i guess that explains low temps...what cooling have you got in your case Enril? i get like 42*C idles on a cool day in sydney, aust...warm days can make it go up to 52*C idle. this is on a stock cooler too. looks like its time for me to put some fans in my case :D
 
i think dfi boards read the cpu temp low and have the 'case' sensor in a bad location so the temps are messed up a bit.

try sticking a 40mm fan on the northbridge heatsink.
 
Originally posted by =XTG=
Enril...remember he has "some fast flowing fans" in that rig so i guess that explains low temps...what cooling have you got in your case Enril? i get like 42*C idles on a cool day in sydney, aust...warm days can make it go up to 52*C idle. this is on a stock cooler too. looks like its time for me to put some fans in my case :D

I have a Zalman 7000Cu, 2 80mm intakes in the front, and an 80mm exhaust in the top and rear. Pretty simple. Maybe I need to upgrade if it's possible to crank out idle temps like 26c with better case cooling.. lol. It's typically very cool in the room where the case is. I live in Minnesota, U.S.A, and it's not exactly known for being warm. :p (More like arctic tundra during the winter at times...)

Perhaps my instinct to mount a side 80mm intake over the CPU / AGP was a good idea I should further pursue..

-Enril
 
You know, the more I think about this the more it doesn't make sense... His ambient case temp. is higher than his CPU temp? These must be switched around.. I get 26-28c in my case all the time. My CPU is still 38c idle in a rather cold room, though, so maybe it's time for some fan management. :p Seems the Zalman7000Cu is giving other people better temps than that. Not that my temps are an issue, I only get to 50c at full load, but we'll see what happens when I put my mushkin PC4000 and try OC'ing everything..

I still say those readings are reversed though!

-Enril
 
Originally posted by Enril
You know, the more I think about this the more it doesn't make sense... His ambient case temp. is higher than his CPU temp? These must be switched around.. I get 26-28c in my case all the time. My CPU is still 38c idle in a rather cold room, though, so maybe it's time for some fan management. :p Seems the Zalman7000Cu is giving other people better temps than that. Not that my temps are an issue, I only get to 50c at full load, but we'll see what happens when I put my mushkin PC4000 and try OC'ing everything..

I still say those readings are reversed though!

-Enril

yeah, they have to be, unless the mobo is reading hella low
 
Back
Top