• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

P4 Prescott overclocking...why not?

Miller

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
207
Well, so far all of my attempts to overclock have been unsuccessful.

I have an ABIT AS8 with an Intel Pentium 4 "Prescott" 3.2ghz (LGA775), and I've attempted to overclock it, to no avail. I was able to actually boot up and run games and such and have it remain somewhat stable at 3.6ghz (multiplier's at 16, bumped up the external clock to 225mhz). However, when I rebooted, my computer freaked out and either would turn on for only a moment before turning off, would freeze when I logged on to Windows or just do some other generally odd behavior.

Right now I cleared the CMOS, entered the BIOS again and saved and exited without changing anything after getting a CMOS checksum error and restarted just for consistency's sake and am apparently running stable once again at the default 3.2ghz.

Is there anything I can do? Whenever I attempted to overclock, I left the voltage on Auto Detect, because when I tried messing around with it, it didn't seem to want to cooperate, and seemed best left up to the computer to handle that. However, I think that might be part of the problem.

I also read articles concerning the P4 prescotts, saying that they were only able to be overclocked to 10% above their stock speeds before they would just reboot every time you logged into Windows. However, I went to CPUdatabase.com and looked at people's submissions with my processor, and some have gotten it up to 4.4ghz. I'm not looking to go that high - maybe 3.7 or 3.8. I have adequate cooling (brand new - two weeks old - Zalman 7700Cu keeps my CPU idle at about 32C and under load at a max of 44C).

Any help would be great. I'm a total newbie at this (obviously :)), so if anyone could even just link me to some place that would address common OCing issues, that'd be awesome.

Thanks in advance.
 
Miller said:
Is there anything I can do? Whenever I attempted to overclock, I left the voltage on Auto Detect, because when I tried messing around with it, it didn't seem to want to cooperate, and seemed best left up to the computer to handle that. However, I think that might be part of the problem.

I also read articles concerning the P4 prescotts, saying that they were only able to be overclocked to 10% above their stock speeds before they would just reboot every time you logged into Windows. However, I went to CPUdatabase.com and looked at people's submissions with my processor, and some have gotten it up to 4.4ghz. I'm not looking to go that high - maybe 3.7 or 3.8. I have adequate cooling (brand new - two weeks old - Zalman 7700Cu keeps my CPU idle at about 32C and under load at a max of 44C).

overclocking and auto detect voltage dont work well together :) its best that you set the voltage manually and test stability with 2 instances of prime95 for each logical core(http://mersenne.org/freesoft.htm)

overclocking is also the "luck of the draw" as youre not guranteed clock speeds (though the cpu database can give you an idea depending on your week and stepping) my advice to you would to take it slow :p
 
My Abit As8 is a wonderful overclocker. Which rev P4 do u have? DO or E0. Use CPUz to find that out. You want to start slowly. 1st update your bios If you have a E0 rev use bios 18, If you have a DO then use bios 17. They will report your temps the closest to what they are suppose to be.
Now the AS8 has some vcore droop on it, so you will need to add some vcore to keep your chip stable. Start with a little Vcore. Your chip defaults to 1.4 so go up 1 or 2 clicks. You want to set your ram to 333 (5:4) to remove your ram from the equation. Make sure the AGP/PCI is set to 66/33 Have hte N/B strap cpu set to FSB800, and then start to slowly raise your FSB. Go up only a couple like 5 then boot into windows and run dual Prime95s. To run 2 primes, create 2 shortcuts and add a a0 and a1 @ the end like this
"C:\Program Files\Prime95\Prime95.exe" -a1

THis will allow you to run 2 prime95s for each of the virtual cores.

If you started with 1.45 Vcore, then see how high you can get with that voltage. If you set it to 1.45, you wont see 1.45 it will be a lot less, so dont worry about it. Keep going. You have to really watch your temps. I couldnt really OC a D0 3.4 much on air. but when I went to water, I was able to OC a lot higher. Im currently running a E0 3.4 @ 240x17 = 4080 with 1.5 Vcore,

GL and remember to go slowly.
 
You might have cheap ram too.. Cheap ram doesn't go over 220-225 bus 1:1 ratio. Try getting better ram or running a different memory ratio.
 
Back
Top