P4-M in shuttle?

Does anyone know if the ICE in P4 shuttle systems will make proper contact with the core of a P4-M CPU? (I don't have any doubt that the CPU will function properly, I'm just worried about HSF contact)

dude i dont think that will work.... a p4-m is socket 479 and ordinary prescotts are socket 478 and 775.
unless you get a socket 479 motherboard for your shuttle. wich i dont think even exists.

no, you're thinking of P-M. P4-Ms are like normal P4's but they run at lower voltages, support speedstep, and don't have an IHS.

BigBadBiologist said:
...don't have an IHS.

That would likely be your big concern... How much height does the IHS add? Maybe a copper slug the same height with arctic silver on both sides...

exactly, that is my issue (well and the issue whenever you put a p4-M into a desktop). The copper slug (aka lapped pre 1983 penny) trick works, but you do seem to get a temperature hit with it. I was hoping someone else has used a P4-M without the penny trick.

do you need the penny to make up for the space left over by the slug, in order for the cpu cooler to properly mount? I will do the same thing with my next rig, provided AMD releases DTR 939's for public consumption.

No. At the moment at least, the Dothan's required architecture is too old. Shuttle could not market a decent SFF with a old generation motherboard lacking new flashy credentials like PCIe and what not. Dothan is incredibly kick ass if you overclock one on a desktop mobo....even with the lack of credentials. In the end, it's all about appeal and marketing, and Dothan's do not have that right now because of the chipset.

Dothan runs on a 855gme. The 855gme is not dual channel, only supports agp 4x, and is basically a generation behind anything new out today. While we enthusiests know the Dothan on a 855gme kicks butt, the general public does not. They see agp 4x and wonder why it's not pcie. They want dual channel. The flash is what brings the bucks. :rolleyes:

Well, I'm about to find out for myself. I bought a SB65G2V3 (with wireless LAN) on NewEgg for $199 on Friday. It should be here later in the week. I'll see if the HSF makes proper contact with the mobile core (I have a Mobile Celeron 1.5 c1 stepping that should hit about 3GHz).

There is a 915 based chipset that rectifies all of the problems associated with the 855... with that, the Dothan is pretty attractive, and a perfectly silent (compared to anything else out there, barring VIA's crap) SFF is attractive to many- then it simply becomes an appliance. Shuttle IS releasing a Dothan based media center PC that looks like a HT appliance.

Just so everybody is clear 'IdiotinCharge' is haveing a totally different conversation than the OP. ;) Dothan != P4-M Dothan == PM (aka the CPU part of the centrino equation).

ShuttleLuv said:
Dothan runs on a 855gme. The 855gme is not dual channel, only supports agp 4x, and is basically a generation behind anything new out today. While we enthusiests know the Dothan on a 855gme kicks butt, the general public does not. They see agp 4x and wonder why it's not pcie. They want dual channel. The flash is what brings the bucks. :rolleyes:
90% of people building SFFs are going to know enough to investigate the difference.

Alviso should hopefully be out soon. Too bad Win64 will be too.

Dyre said:
Just so everybody is clear 'IdiotinCharge' is haveing a totally different conversation than the OP. ;) Dothan != P4-M Dothan == PM (aka the CPU part of the centrino equation).

Yes, it seems so. Even though I read the whole thread, Shuttleluv threw me off. Posting while doing homework does that sometimes, hehe. I am still interested in the OP's findings; maybe he should post his results in a different thread as well as here.

OK, I'm not going to start a new thread, I'll just post this here.

My SB65G2V3 came yesterday and the ICE (flat copper on bottom) does make proper contact with the P4-M core. I haven't had a chance to power it on yet to check temps.

BigBadBiologist said:
Does anyone know if the ICE in P4 shuttle systems will make proper contact with the core of a P4-M CPU? (I don't have any doubt that the CPU will function properly, I'm just worried about HSF contact)

yes it will

so this is just sick. I have a Celeron 1.5 (P4 core, c1 stepping) and it is currently happily running along at 3GHz @ 1.65V. The idle temp is about 38C but goes up to 50C +/- 3C under load (temp varies depending upon fan speed, I have smartfan enabled at 40C). I would say that Shuttles and P4-M CPUs work together very well!

Back