p4 ee

euteamo

n00b
i was reading on the intel page that the p4 ee requires a "higher voltage thing," and i won't be able to put one in my mobo... how does that work?

That's an extremely sloppy first post & question. You make it sound as if "higher voltage thing" was Intel's own wording on the site. Highly unlikely... Intel is very probably much more specific on this issue.

Please go back to that site, cut the relevant sentence and paste it here. I'll try to find it myself.

Edit: well, it seems to me that any motherboard that supports the newer P4s with 800 Mhz FSB will run an EE processor. There are no different hardware requirements.

Originally posted by laja
That's an extremely sloppy first post & question. You make it sound as if "higher voltage thing" was Intel's own wording on the site. Highly unlikely... Intel is very probably much more specific on this issue.

Please go back to that site, cut the relevant sentence and paste it here. I'll try to find it myself.

Edit: well, it seems to me that any motherboard that supports the newer P4s with 800 Mhz FSB will run an EE processor. There are no different hardware requirements.

Actually there is. The P4EE is not based on the Pentium 4 Northwood core. Its based on the Gallatin Xeon MP core. The addition of 2MB L3 cache increases the transistor count of the Northwood at 55 Million to 169 million.

Requirements

Although the CPU is the same mPGA478 package as the current P4 Northwood CPU, there are certain differences in the processor which require you to have newer motherboards to support it. The motherboard must be Prescott ready with support for the VREG enhancement for FMB (Flexible Mother Board) 1.5. This will undoubtedly cause problems with many customers who are looking to upgrade their current CPU to the P4 Extreme Edition since Intel didn't really forecast this product and motherboard vendors were not anticipating Prescott support being needed on their boards until the 1st quarter of 2004. Some Intel motherboards, on the other hand, have been shipping with the FMB 1.5 upgrade since September, possibly in anticipation of this CPU, or maybe just because Intel is trying to get their Prescott ready motherboards into the field ahead of the rest of the crowd. These motherboards can only be verified by checking their AA numbers against charts on Intel's website since their model names and numbers will remain unchanged. In addition to the FMB 1.5 support, Intel is requiring a chassis that can maintain an ambient temperature below 38°, but this is standard 3G compatibility and most chassis manufacturers have already integrated this into their current designs.

For this reason its been stated that a motherboard that supports P4EE will more then likely support the new Prescott core.

Originally posted by laja
Hmmm... is this official info from Intel? I find it strange if this wasn't on Intel's site. That site says that the EE is compatible with all Canterwood and Springdale mobos. Here's the link:

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/pentium4HTXE/index.htm?iid=ipp_desk+proc_p4htxe&

No i found this info on another site that was talking about the 3.2EE. Intel seems to never be very specific on compatibility issues when they talk about their processors. I can tell you though the 3.2EE is not like all the other Pentium 4 processors so it may or may not work on some motherboards. Motherboards are created for the Northwood cores while the 3.2EE is based off the Gallatin core which is much like how the FX-51 was based off the Opteron core.

Back