P4-630 High Temps (Please Help)

NauticaONE

Weaksauce
I originally posted this in the intel forums, but I think its better placed over here.

Hello,
Recently I just got a setup with a P4-630 (3ghz/2mb cache) with an Asus P5AD2E-Deluxe motherboard.

Last night I was trying to set it up with a Thermaltake Silent 775 Cooler, and i found that one of the screws was stripped and wouldnt thread in (this is a brand new unit btw). So I put the stock intel cooler on and away i went. I made sure i cleaned up all the AS5 i had on the cpu off of it before mounting the stock intel sink with its TIM on there.

I get into the bios, at Idle im showing a 53c (127f) degree temp???? I was worried about this, so I installed windows, loaded asus PC Probe, showed the same thing at idle in windows.. I installed prime95 and cranked away, it went up to 60c and stayed there the entire time I ran Prime95 (10 minutes)

Is something wrong with my diode on the motherboard you think? should I not trust those temps?

I have to get a performance CPU cooler anyways and since the silent 775 is dead, what do you guys recommend as the best of the best (air cooling) for an LGA 775 system??

Keep in mind this is a 04a chip which is suppost to be lower heat/lower power consumption.

Those temps are not out of line with the stock intel heatsink. I would have left the AS5 and cleaned off the TIM but it probally would not have changed a lot :D

the XP90 with a med speed panaflow is very popular, I just build stock intel machines so cant say much more than that.

I had a retail sink on my 630 as well. The temps were pretty much the same as what you're experiencing. Later I would recieve my Thermalright xp120 and 775 retention kit. A buddy of mine hooked me up with a "yate loon" ?? 120. It's quieter than my video card's Zalman vf-700. I also had a not so great IHS on my p4, so I lapped that too. End results for me are:

630@4125
vcore ~ 1.4875
idle ~ 40
load ~ 56

and a VERY quiet pc. I can hear my hard disks over the fans :p

Good luck bro!

OK thats what I was looking to hear! Thanks for the info... I put in an order today with frozencpu for a XP120 and a 120mm panaflo fan (per fcpus recommendation on the phone) The silent 775 = 40 dollars down the drain... its appearently been a quality issue TT is having with this model and the screws stripping out.

Nautica:
You're gonna love that HS. It looks like an engine block ;-) Right now I'm using an Abit AS8 (agp+ddr1) with some PQI 2x1GB pc3200. Another thing that really helped me was lapping the cpu, but that took a lot of time...

AFA settings are concerned, Abit, DFI, ASUS all have great bios. I favor Abit tho becuase they use exact numbers instead of %'s like some ASUS/DFI boards. Abit's aren't without their quirks tho!

I have never owned a gigabyte or msi board tho, so can't tell ya from personal experience. I can tell you that a buddy has a gigabyte and gets upset all the time because his vdimm (mem voltage) is limited to 2.7. So he's stuck with 250 mem even tho it's capable of 305. Another guy owns an MSI and has no option for 1t cmd rate in the bios.

Back