P4 3.2 or Pentium D 930?

Ruckus

Hardforum Moderator-in-Chief
Staff member
I have both processors right now which is the better choice for my computer? both are socket 775 so my MB will take either. I play CS:S, do DVDs, video, music. Im running a 7800GT and 2GB of PC2 4200 DDR2 on my system. So which processor is the better choice? The P 4 3.2Ghz or the Pentium D 930 which is 3.0 Ghz

I have a 640 3.2 ghz overclocked to 3.6 ghz with stock cooling and slightly upped voltage. I say 600 series.

Always DC > SC.So the 930 will mop the floor with the P4 , especially in multithreaded apps.

just installed the 930. Dont know if my motherboard can overclock though.

930 is the way to go. Overclock that baby and it will smoke that P4. Multi app power is increased too!

I would be giving a bit more thought to this upgrade.

What is your CPU now? there are not many 775 processors that will botleneck a 7800GT at say 1280x1024 in any game.

I am suggesting you may benefit a lot more from a GPU upgrade.

I think you didnt read the thing through. I have both processors in my possesion. doesnt cost me anything to use either or. Im not looking to spend money on anything. I was just asking what processor was the better of the 2 for what I do. So far I noticed the 930 encodes video to DVD format way quicker than the p4 does. FPS in gaming seems pretty even to me, havent really done anything else tonight but the 2.

Yup for now dual core doesn't really matter for games cuz they're single threaded. But once they're multi-threaded, the 930 should really kick the P4's ass

Back