P4 3.0C vs. E

ewarz

[H]ard|Gawd
I had a P4 3.0C and recently had a unique opportunity to upgrade to a E. So far, the only diffrence I have noticed is that it runs hotter. I didnt expect to see an increase in performance. Was this a wise upgrade? Will anything in the future make me happy I did this?

Maybe a slight gain in video encoding when SSE3 is written into optimizers, but other than that it was a bad decision. The 1 MB cache isn't gonna help, it needs that just to be able to compensate for errors in its longer pipeline.

ewarz, other than being more cutting edge, you didn't really 'upgrade.'

True, you get the seven or so extra extensions provided by SSE3, but very little software currently takes advantage of it.

The P4 3.0C and 3.0E offer pretty much the same performance (and 3.0C can perform better in some tests and vice versa), but the 3.0E does run htoter.

thanks. i didnt pay for it, so nothing lost. the heat kinda bugs me, i got a SP-94 on it with a 92mm fan, and it still idles at @53°C. i guess im stuck with it for a while but i think im gonna get rid of it the next chance i get.

I am sorry but I will sum that choice up in one word:

Lose.

i went from a 2.6C to a 3.0E and i can overclock much more with less than 1.5V! my 3.0E is at 3.6Ghz and the only thing holding me back is the temp at load. maybe this is because my 2.6C had bad stepping, but nonetheless, the 3.0E has more potential than my old 2.6C.

It's sort of become common knowledge now, but if you are aircooling, stick with Northwood. If you have watercooling or better, Prescott then becomes a viable option because you have some way of controlling temps.

Back