P4 3.0C Stock HSF

JAW

Gawd
P4 3.0C Stock HSF

Fan is running at 5.2k rpm, loud as heck. This can't be normal, shouldn't it be throttling down? It runs at 5.2k 24.7, the fan is gonna blow. CPU is running at 36C

Running intel desktop control center, the fan is locked, also the fan for one of my vantec's is also locked, won't let me throttle them down either.

I suggest getting a high end heatsink to replace the stock one. Either a Zalman 7000 or Thermalright sp94.

I am not overclocking or anything, so I kind of just want to stick with the stock one. I've heard many p4 stock hsf's and none of them are this loud or high rpm, just asking if there is anything I can check before I rma the hsf.

Probably there's nothing wrong with the hs. It's running at that speed to keep your chip cool. The fan is controlled by a temperature sensor and is variable. If its speed is at max rpm when you first turn your system on then the sensor is probably defective.

The temperature sensor on the stock HSF that comes with the P4 3.0C does NOT have anything to do with the CPU temp.

That temp sensor is sitting on top of the HSF, it's actually floating about the fan blades themselves by about 1/4 of an inch. It's measuring the temp of the air that's being pulled into/onto the heatsink. In other words, the hotter your ambient case temp, the faster that fan is going to spin. You need better cooling on your box than you currently have. I have the P4 3.0C myself and was basically driven to extremes by that damned noise. I was building a "quiet" PC and that HSF was the first thing I absolutely had to remove.

I purchased a Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu HSF unit. It's the QUIETEST cooling solution on the market as far as aircooling is concerned. Cost me almost $50 and it was worth every damned cent. I can't recommend it enough. So do something about your current cooling solution. As soon as you can get the ambient temps inside your case to come down, the RPMs of that fan will decrease as well.

Best solution: Get some better cooling hardware, like the aforementioned Zalman HSF. With it set for its lowest speeds I can't hear it at all; at higher speeds it's not really noticeable. My typing is far louder now that my PC is almost totally silent.

:D

Good luck,
br0adband

My CPU fan (stock Intel fan for the 3.0C) runs at 3200rpm most of the time...when I'm gaming or doing something to keep the processor at full load for a while the highest it gets to is ~4,000rpm. I'm really not sure why your's is so high.

My case temps are pretty low, I have two vantec stealth fans blowing air out the back, one vantec stealth in the front bringing air in, plus I have a side window fan bringing more air in. And then my psu fan.

my 3.0c with stock fan/hs runs at 29c idle/39c load after a couple hrs of gaming.

Dude I run the Zallman its very quiet. The Intels are very quiet normaly. Anyway I have a never used copper core retail heatsink and fan that came with my 3.2 ghz if your interested drop me an email.

Fan speed: 2136
Cpu temp: 33 Degree's

Stock fan and heatsink for the 3.0c
Very quiet fan and heatsink.

Course northbridge is going at 5500 rpm and sitting at 55 degree's (idle)

MSI Neo2 865pe mobo.

Back