P4 2.8c HT Question

Jon855

[H]ard DCOTM January 2008
2FA
Joined
Aug 25, 2005
Messages
12,133
I have a question. I'll be borging my other pc later today and I was wondering does P4 HyperThread counts as two? Will I be able to run two instance of F@H on that one cpu?

And also I know it's 2.8ghz so in the HT sense it's still just 2.8Ghz right?

My total folding power at the moment is at 4.933Ghz and I'm not sure how to account in for the P4 2.8c HT accurately. I think it would be 7.733Ghz in total is this right? :) I'm gonna reach for 9Ghz of computing power by the end of this weekend. Yeah I'm busy ;)
 
Actually, Stanford prefers that in the case of HT, you run one client. Running two clients only results in a 15% gain at most and they want work back as soon as possible.

 
p[H]ant0m said:
Actually, Stanford prefers that in the case of HT, you run one client. Running two clients only results in a 15% gain at most and they want work back as soon as possible.

The way I see it - 15% gain is better than nothing eh? Although I'll have them to run deadline less WU so it shouldn't matter :|
 
p[H]ant0m said:
Actually, Stanford prefers that in the case of HT, you run one client. Running two clients only results in a 15% gain at most and they want work back as soon as possible.


Really? Happen to have any documentation on that? I was just curious about that; I have at least 4 computers with HT processors and I'd definitely change that.
 
Blitzrommel said:
Really? Happen to have any documentation on that? I was just curious about that; I have at least 4 computers with HT processors and I'd definitely change that.

I't posted all over the offical forums, check the stickies there I think.
 
Jon855 said:
The way I see it - 15% gain is better than nothing eh? Although I'll have them to run deadline less WU so it shouldn't matter :|
timeless WU's are no longer available from stanford so switch over those boxen otherwise they wont be folding.
 
roftranspo said:
timeless WU's are no longer available from stanford so switch over those boxen otherwise they wont be folding.
Done that... One Instance is running at the moment, bringing me to a total power of 7.733Ghz at the moment and all in 5 hours timeframe :) I'm working on bringing back a 1.4Ghz system to folding so in end it's gonna be 9.133Ghz folding power in a day time :)
 
roftranspo said:
timeless WU's are no longer available from stanford so switch over those boxen otherwise they wont be folding.
Any word on whether or not this is a permenant thing?
 
marty9876 said:
I't posted all over the offical forums, check the stickies there I think.

Wow, he agreed with someone for once. ;)

As for HT, about the best way to take advantage of it if you choose to is to give one instance normal WU and give a 2nd timeless (if and when they come back) at like the 15%. That's quite a popular solution around these parts.
 
Consider running UD on the second logical CPU with F@H bumped from idle to low priority?
 
DougLite said:
Consider running UD on the second logical CPU with F@H bumped from idle to low priority?
The problem is that my friend's using my laptop so I've told him to run one instance of FH and etc... So the next time I visit there, I might'll bump it to low :) and maybe'll add UD, that'll depends anyways. I'm off to install Linux on the 1.4Ghz tower and I need to fold that ASAP so I'll be having 9.133Ghz Thong to walk around in :)
 
marty9876 said:
I't posted all over the offical forums, check the stickies there I think.

Wow, what a load of crap. I'd probably be better off disabling HT on my rigs!
 
Back
Top