P2P for Private(LAN) Networks?

Dew

2[H]4U
Here is the deal, my fileserver gets hammered at the LAN I help host, reducing its output to 23MB/sec. Since the network is all gigabit, I'm thinking that the best way to maximize throughput would be to have a private P2P setup just for the LAN. This would help immensely with the distrobution of maps, patches, and mods.

What I am thinking about is using Padlock SL, since it is based on waste and has a working linux client (the fileserver is FedoraCore5 x64).

Now, I've never used WASTE, so I don't know if it does the following:
-Allows a file/folder listing from a peer of choice(In this case being the fileserver), not search only (Files and folders is important, I would like it to be just like pulling it off Samba, but distributed.).
-Downloading is distributed. (Client will pull parts of the file from more than one peer in order to maximize throughput.)

Am I taking the right approach for a (free) solution to my problem?

Sounds like a game server?

//reread//.....ok..just file server.

Well..here's the thing...you say it "gets hammered"...does it have SCSI drives and a server grade NIC...why worry about it..let it get hammered..that's its job.

YeOldeStonecat said:
Sounds like a game server?

//reread//.....ok..just file server.

Well..here's the thing...you say it "gets hammered"...does it have SCSI drives and a server grade NIC...why worry about it..let it get hammered..that's its job.

Nope, just 8x WD 320GB RaidEdition SATA drives in Raid5 on a Highpoint 2320. Nic is the onboard Nvidia gigabit.

I should have clarified, the fileserver's max output over the NIC is 360Mbits sustained for single file transfers(NIC Limited, not HDD), when serving multiple files to multiple computers (Average number of connections = 8), it drops to 20-25MB/sec (HDD Limitation). I am attempting to circumvent these limitations by distributing the files, so when someone downloads a file from the fileserver, they in turn share it.

There is no point in upgrading the NIC on the fileserver when my limitation(when it matters) is in the HDDs. I am perfectly fine with downloading from my fileserver @ 40-50MB/sec at home. And upgrading a 2TB array to SCSI just isn't going to happen. I spend $4-5K a year on computers as it is, but SCSI at that magnitude would just be insane.

MorfiusX said:
Set up your own BitTorrent or eDonkey server:
http://lugdunum2k.free.fr/kiten.html

You could also set up QoS.

I was under the impression that bittorrent required a tracker for each file(or group of files). Since I have never used eDonkey, I'll look into that when I get home (Not about to do any in depth reading on eDonkey at work). Thanks for the suggestion though, I know eDonkey meets my second requirement(distributed file sharing), if it meets my first(File and Folder listing from a single peer) and runs on Linux, I think we have a winner. (Even though it will attempt to connect to the main ed2k network, I'll just block ed2k on the Router {Linksys RV016}).

As for QoS, what benefit would that have for my situation? The file server has a single function, serve files. It doesn't do any game hosting (I have a separate box for that).

Dew said:
As for QoS, what benefit would that have for my situation? The file server has a single function, serve files. It doesn't do any game hosting (I have a separate box for that).
I thought you were running the game server on the same machine. If it's just files that it is server, then QoS won't be needed.

When you set up eDonkey, have everyone use eMule or similar program and have them up their upload limits so that you can off load the bandwidth more to the users. It typically comes set up for internet usage. But seeing that you are on a LAN, you could really tweak it to get better shared bandwidth out of it.

I ended up going with DirectConnect. It lets me do what I want as well as not have people seep onto the net, killing our connection.

Back