p180

jr3L

n00b
Hey currently just purchased a antec p180 case from work to begin my new core2duo e6400 system. Basically I know I need @ least 500-550watt PSU, on antec's website they recommend 3 different kinds; NeoHE, Phantom, Truepower. The truepower came up the most but alot of people have been saying it comes with so many connectors that in a case like a p180 airflow may become an issue. Anyone with a p180 have any personal experience to share so I can decide a little better? Or any other 500-550watt PSU's that I can possibly look into?

Which P180 revision did you get? Is the fan in the lower compartment 25mm thick or 38mm thick?

For the P180, I would recommend a Seasonic S12 500. it should be more than plenty. Maybe an M12 if you have more funds, but make sure it doesn't interfere with the lower chamber fan.

P180 tips:
Set all the fans to low. that should do it
use the lower chamber.
If you got one with a duct, gut the duct and tape up the holes it leaves behind. You wnat to be able to direct your airflow not to go through the holes to the left of the pci slots.

The P180 is actually the case I'm going to be getting for my C2D E6300 machine, From what I have been told. Go with Seasonic because the Antec PSU's have clearance issues for some reason...you would think that the case manufacturers PSUs would fit...guess not. The truepower series does have a lot of cables so unless you plan on doing a complete wire mod to those PSU cables then I wouldn't recommend it.

The reason the M12 is nice is the plug in cables, you only need to plug in what you need and that frees up a lot of space in that cramped area. However the 500W versioin runs about $130-140

Hey just got done looking @ the 2 different SeaSonic PSU's, while looking @ them noticed they dont have a rear exaust fan, isnt that a bad thing if i get the p180?

not neccesarily because they have the 120 fan on one of the sides and as long as you mount the PSU with that facing up you will get ok circulation. But then again, thats why they put the PSU seperate from the HDD, it generates a lot of heat that adversly effects Proc cooling.

Thanks for info guys, ill probably end up going w/ the 500watt seasonic m12 mostly for the fact alotta reviews talk about cable manegement issues with the p180. At least this way I can choose how many connectors I want to put in. And after thinking about it kill4killin that does make sense, so woot!

A bit late but ...

I have a P180 case.

I have an Antec power supply in it. Small one with the 2 fans where one fan is temp controlled.

It works well.

Perhaps you hsould check your actual power requiremments before you buy a power supply. Most of my systems draw 100w at full load.

The cable management is also an issue i have heard of with the P180 and my solution for this was that I'm getting the Seasonic (either M12 or S12 not sure yet which will suite my needs better). Then im going to custom make all the cables for it and heatshrink them myself so that i can get exactly the length i need to go where i need it with no extra. From what I hear its a big undertaking but if you take your time (like everything else with computers) and have experience with soldering wires and working with the connectors and shit. you cant really screw anything up as long as you shrink wrap all of your solder points so they don't short or anything. Then im gunna use the mesh wrap and shrink wrap to clean up the wires.

I acually hear the NeoHE is a really good PSU w/ the p180 its one of the few PSU's that have long enough cables for the case.

I acually hear the NeoHE is a really good PSU w/ the p180 its one of the few PSU's that have long enough cables for the case.

I have the Neo HE 550, and the only thing that bytes about it is the 12v power rail to the motherboard. Other then that, it is pretty easy to cable manage. : - ).

The P180 is actually the case I'm going to be getting for my C2D E6300 machine, From what I have been told. Go with Seasonic because the Antec PSU's have clearance issues for some reason...you would think that the case manufacturers PSUs would fit...guess not. The truepower series does have a lot of cables so unless you plan on doing a complete wire mod to those PSU cables then I wouldn't recommend it.

The reason the M12 is nice is the plug in cables, you only need to plug in what you need and that frees up a lot of space in that cramped area. However the 500W versioin runs about $130-140

uuhhhhh huh....

can you uhh link me to that? because I've been using Antec PSUs in Antec Cases for my past, i donno, 10 builds? no issues like that yet.

I just finished building a C2D system for myself, Antec NEO HE 550W w/ Antec P180B

I can attest that the Corsair hx520w works in the P180. I have the older version of the P180 with the 38mm fan. Cable management was pretty easy. The 8 pin 12v cable is a stretch but it works.

sorry to bump an old thread...

Is the issue with this case that the PSU cables aren't long enough, or that it's hard to route them for airflow? I suck at cable management, that's why I'm asking

sorry to bump an old thread...

Is the issue with this case that the PSU cables aren't long enough, or that it's hard to route them for airflow? I suck at cable management, that's why I'm asking

well both, depending on the PSU
I'd go with a Corsair, as they are confirmed to work great in a P180

edit: one reason the Corsair is such a good choice is it's modular, which makes a big difference in the P180 (I know from experience)
also, I'd recommend you put all hard drives in the bottom cage and just remove the middle one if you're still having trouble
and you might consider getting a SATA DVD-RW now that they're available

good luck

yeah, its just that managing them is a bitch.

my sig: 680i, neo HE, P180, all cables made it to their destinations, but it wasnt always pretty. straight out of the PSU chamber my cables run underneith the upper drive cage (which i removed the little black tool box for). from there it goes up behind the 5" bays, and out across the top to the fans. Most of the connections are made from under the upper 3.5" bays.

The one I did have some trouble with was the eight pin manditory for the CPU to function. It made it, but it was outstanding as the rest of my cables were all neat, and this one ran right above the graphics cards. It made the connection, and airflow wise it was a small obstrusion, but asthetically, couldnt have it. so i got a molex 4 to mobo 8 pin converter, and just attached it to the cables i was using to power the fans.

but overall, cable managment hasnt been a huge issue.

Another idea is to run the power cable under the mb tray panel...chop a hole in the tray above the MB 8 pin connector for the cable to pass through, then cut a notch in the frame above the PS chamber so that the cable can get up there and you can still put the side panel back on.

Back