P180, now with 3 BIP's internally

AndyM

Limp Gawd
A little continuation to my water conversion thread. I figure if 2 BIP's worked good, 3 of them must be better, lol. After shoehorning in another one, ~5C load temp drop at the same slow quiet fan speeds I like. And now for the photos:

Before:

newwater.jpg

After:

3_rad019.jpg

Easy tube routing through the stock hole:

3_rad001.jpg

TONS of room down there! :D

3_rad006.jpg

I'll probably mod the stock plastic floor cover to fit the tubing to clean up that area, and once I decide whether to use the MB PWM fan controls or hard wire it to 7 volts the fan wiring wont be hanging out all over the place.

Who says P180's arent good for water cooling? LOL

Very nice...now all you need to do is replace that 120 in the front with a PA160 ;)

How are your temps now? I bet a hell of a lot better, heh.

Man, lose some of the Optical drives, or move them to the lower slot.

You can then fit a fourth BIP.

DCP_0022.jpg

Very nice setup. Nice and clean! Wonder how the temps are compared to a normal three fan black ice pro?

That bottom BIP is killing your flow. The fact that you've got three in a row is bad enough, but you've got a nasty bend in the tubing. The coil helps a little bit, but it's still as bad as cutting your tubing down a size (from 1/2 to 3/8, for example). It's a good thing you're running a Fuzion block to offset this. :)

I honestly believe that with some planning, a 2x120 would beat your triple-BIP loop.

Given what the case offers, though, that's not bad-looking. :D

wow nice. i never did any water cooling yet. but the case itself is already very quite and runs nice. doesnt get hot too bad well the temps seems average but lot quieter if fans r on super low.

Maybe in the future in 4 more years than I might make a water cooling computer. Almost done with college and need to make real money after :)

That bottom BIP is killing your flow. The fact that you've got three in a row is bad enough, but you've got a nasty bend in the tubing. The coil helps a little bit, but it's still as bad as cutting your tubing down a size (from 1/2 to 3/8, for example). It's a good thing you're running a Fuzion block to offset this. :)

why should his overall flow rate mater if his temps went down 5c?

why should his overall flow rate mater if his temps went down 5c?

Mmhmm, after 5lpm most waterblocks show a reduction (or, at least no improvement) of performance. As evidenced by the performance gap between a 1/2" and a 3/8" system (or lack thereof).

A dual BIP can never, EVER dissipate close to the ~400w of heat that 3 BIP's are doing... even with a 50w "cripple allowance!"

Surface area > Flow.

Flow issues:

While purging the system yesterday I had the pump on 'kill' (5) while running Orthos and ATI Tool at the same time. I then switched the pump back to the 24/7 'quiet' setting (1.5) while still running the same load apps. Temp difference....none. I think the whole flow thing is a little bit overplayed, at least with a D5 pump and making sure you are not using some sort of reducer in your loop. Tubing is 7/16 MasterKleer, and no kinks throughout the loop. You can see a difference in speed of the bubble flying though the loop between the two settings, but I suspect that even on 'low' the D5 is pushing past the optimum ~1.5 GPM flow rate.

Shove one of the BIPs in between the GPU and CPU. Or wouldn't that work too well.

It wont make any difference. The water will only increase by at most around 1C after moving through the CPU or GPU waterblock. That isn't worth rerouting more tubing to lower it back down by that 1C.

It wont make any difference. The water will only increase by at most around 1C after moving through the CPU or GPU waterblock. That isn't worth rerouting more tubing to lower it back down by that 1C.

Yep. Water can hold so much freaking heat, you need to dump quite a few joules in it before it starts to heat up much.

Yep. Water can hold so much freaking heat, you need to dump quite a few joules in it before it starts to heat up much.
As I recall, something like 4,184 Joules/kg (or liter) to raise the temperature 1C? Specific heat FTW!

Niice work on the loop. I've got a P180 myself, but only one triple rad attached to the outside, I wonder how the temps compare to your setups.

Cool, I wasn't far off. :)

Not to get too far off topic, but technically you were absolutely correct....and so is n00btard as well. Specific Heat changes as a function of temperature. At 0C it is around 4.217 kJ/kgK, it decreases and bottoms out at around 35C with 4.182, and then starts to increase faster and faster.

took the test! Doh

13% scored higher (more nerdy),
0% scored the same, and
87% scored lower (less nerdy).
What does this mean? Your nerdiness is:​

High-Level Nerd. You are definitely MIT material, apply now!!!.​

22% scored higher (more nerdy),
1% scored the same, and
77% scored lower (less nerdy)
What does this mean? Your nerdiness is:

Mid-Level Nerd. Wow, it takes a lot of hard nerdy practice to reach this level.

17% scored higher (more nerdy),
1% scored the same, and
82% scored lower (less nerdy).

High-Level Nerd. You are definitely MIT material, apply now!!!.

I think I'll rock back and forth in a fetal position and cry now.

24% scored higher (more nerdy),
1% scored the same, and
75% scored lower (less nerdy).

Mid-Level Nerd. Wow, it takes a lot of hard nerdy practice to reach this level.

This test is full of crap....or maybe I'm not as big a nerd as I thought I was....

16% scored higher (more nerdy),
1% scored the same, and
83% scored lower (less nerdy).

Ah, shit. I saw the link, was bored, and had to click. And to think I thought I was only sorta a nerd.

8% scored higher (more nerdy),
1% scored the same, and
91% scored lower (less nerdy).

Supreme Nerd. Apply for a professorship at MIT now!!!.

-_-

I hate myself

3% scored higher (more nerdy),
1% scored the same, and
96% scored lower (less nerdy).

All hail the monstrous nerd. You are by far the SUPREME NERD GOD!!!

17% scored higher (more nerdy),
1% scored the same, and
82% scored lower (less nerdy).

I think I'll rock back and forth in a fetal position and cry now.

I got the same score and most people don't consider me a nerd at all. You just have to learn to separate your nerd-life from your normal-life until the people in your normal life like you too well to reject you when they find out how nerdy you are in the other half of your life... Same with your nerd friends and your normal life.

Ultimately if any of them do reject you once they find out you lead both lives at the same time they aren't worth having for a friend anyway.

I hate myself

3% scored higher (more nerdy),
1% scored the same, and

All hail the monstrous nerd. You are by far the SUPREME NERD GOD!!!

wow, you just barely beat me

my quiz score said:
4% scored higher (more nerdy),
0% scored the same, and

I don't think I'm that nerdy at all :S

I got the same score and most people don't consider me a nerd at all. You just have to learn to separate your nerd-life from your normal-life until the people in your normal life like you too well to reject you when they find out how nerdy you are in the other half of your life... Same with your nerd friends and your normal life.

Ultimately if any of them do reject you once they find out you lead both lives at the same time they aren't worth having for a friend anyway.

Exactly. I'm a closet nerd :p.

in before thread lock :p

Might I interest you guys in another photo of the the new rad?

3_rad011.jpg

Ok nerds, carry on! :p

It's cool, I dont care, makes my machine look so OMG!!! with the post count in this thread, lol.

Back