P180 fan in front of lower drive cage

defuseme2k

[H]ard|Gawd
I modded mine and put a fan there in the front. I had to take some tin snips to it to remove some stuff that was in the way... Then I had to lap the casing of the 120mm fan I was putting in there so it would slide freely. Took a bit of work, but overall its going to be well worth it. The power supply sits too far inward to use the middle fan :( I've had two raptors die within a short time of each other. I had to do SOMETHING to get some cooling in there. I'll pull the drive cage out now that I'm back home, and will snap some pics later.

Who else has modded their p180 to put a fan down there? Post some pics, I want to compare what I did to what you've done.

(subscribed)
i currently have no fan down there either, but i'm curious to see if anyone has put one there...

You could always just try a 15mm thick 80mm fan. I didn't have to drill anything, but I couldn't use my front filter anymore which irritated me. If you search the forums, there are several people who have done a front fan mod.

Unfortunately, this fan is a POS. It leaked oil all over my drives and then died a noisy and painful death. I eventually swapped out PSUs and got one that allowed me to run the middle fan. Honestly, though, if you have a PSU with a 120mm fan facing the bottom of the case, it should move enough air for the drives if you space them properly. If you say heat killed your Raptors, then I believe you, but my two 7200s never got warm.

Also, if you take the front plastic cover/door off you can access the rivets for the frame in front of the drive cage. All you have to do is drill them (the rivets) out and you can always just rivet them back in if you want--that's what I did when I botched a 120mm fan mod. No reason to use tin snips.

80mm x 15mm SilenX fan.
001.jpg

002.jpg

Automotive trim screws.
003.jpg

would you be able to fit a 25mm fan?
I have a 120x25mm fan down there right now. I had to lap it to get it to fit smoothly. I still will post the picture, but haven't had time yet. I want to be able to let everyone see what I did exactly.

Good idea whoever it was that used the automotive trim screws. heh. My buddy used tin snips on a bawls lid and made a washer for mine. Currently I just have the one screw in it... hopefully that will hold up.

...If you say heat killed your Raptors, then I believe you, but my two 7200s never got warm...

I don't know if heat did it or not. The drives were so hot they burned me, and the rubber grommets were melted to the side of the drives. A holy shit moment for me, I couldn't believe it was getting that warm without me knowing it.

Back