P180 cooling optimization

LoserXLeet

Limp Gawd
It looks as though the P180 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129154) has 2 fans and an air vent right around the CPU/Video card. The layout of that case and cooling system looks extremely unique, and I was wondering what heatsink/fan layout/other things you guys would do to optimize the cooling potential of that case.

I don't know much about aerodynamics, but it seems as though a high powered CPU cooler would almost be wasted on this case, since there is already very high air circulation right around the CPU.

On another note, I was considering putting an XP-120 heatsink + 120mmx38mm fan on the CPU, but in that case it looks like that whole CPU area would just be absolutely CLUTTERED with fans (Anyone own/tried that setup? Do any of the fans get blocked/obstructed?). What about taking the fan off of the back of the case and setting up a zalman to blow air right out that exhaust?

It just seems to me it would be very easy to get amazing air circulation with this case, and I would like some input on what you guys would do. Thanks for reading!!

Well, what I've done is installed my Scythe Ninja with a 120 strapped to it blowing through the heatsink and out the rear exhaust. I've removed the vga duct because A. I don't have a 25mm thick 80mm fan lying around and B. I've heard it doesn't do anything much for cooling the vid card.

Many people do passive cooling with the Ninja in this case because of the excellent positions of the two exhaust fans. I have also added a fan to the open intake area.

quadnad said:
Well, what I've done is installed my Scythe Ninja with a 120 strapped to it blowing through the heatsink and out the rear exhaust. I've removed the vga duct because A. I don't have a 25mm thick 80mm fan lying around and B. I've heard it doesn't do anything much for cooling the vid card.

Many people do passive cooling with the Ninja in this case because of the excellent positions of the two exhaust fans. I have also added a fan to the open intake area.

I was able to do 42C load temps with dual instances of Prime on my Opteron 165 running at stock values with just the Scythe Ninja passively cooling.

Drops to about 34-36C when you add the 120mm.

I'm also sure I need to re-apply the AS5 and reseat the cooler.

I also have a 120mm intake on the front of the case. Be sure to close the divider doors between chambers, run the cables in the 'hideaway' areas they provide to maximize airflow - and you should be set.

If you want very good and filtered air flow from this case:

Remove the blowhole fan, use aluminum duct tape to cover the outside
of the remaining opening and replace the blowhole grille.

Install the blowhole fan behind the filter in front of the upper chamber
HDD bay using the mount provided and set to draw air IN.

Remove the VGA duct and use clear duct tape to cover the outside of
the remaining holed opening.

Get one of these:
Zalman CNPS9500 LED Copper CPU Heat Sink 92MM Fan 1350-2600RPM
18-27.5DBA W/Blue LED
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=165&code=005009

Mount it to vent its air flow at the upper rear fan that is already mounted
to vent air OUT of the case.

Mount the Zalman FanMate2 speed controller on the front of an unused
5.25” bay. Someone posted a pic in another thread. Yes the door will close.

The 3 fans work in unison to create a strong air flow through the case.

Taping the openings and the air filters prevent dust from gaining entry.

What fans speeds you use depends on your needs. A slightly positive case
air pressure is ideal to avoid dust being vacuumed in through every nook
and cranny.

In my case I’ll be replacing the supplied fans with these which have 4 and
3 pin connectors instead of just the 4 pin
120mm Antec TriCool 120 DBB fan 761345-75121-6
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75080

so that I can control the 120mm fan speeds with this:
Thermaltake Hardcano 13 5.25in Multi Function drive bay
controller w/6 IN 1 card reader & LCD disp. Part #: A2259
http://www.thermaltake.com/accessories/a2259hardcano13/a2259hardcano13.htm

Happy trailz,

Where did you hear about that? Do you think that will actually keep the cpu cooler than just bombarding it with fans? Between the VGA duct fan, the 2 exhaust fans right by the CPU, and a good CPU heatsink fan, you could get a freaking cyclone inside that case. Haha!

So have you actually tried this? Have you seen before/after temp comparisons? This case just seems so freaking efficient, I want to make sure I optimize it.

In mine I took the fan from the PSU area and traded it with the one in the upper back (blowing out). I took that fan and mounted it in front of the upper harddrive cage (actually I don't have the upper hdd cage installed). Then I have a Scythe ninja on the CPU, without a fan. All the 120mm fans are set to LOW. I have a cool running CPU - but I could clock it more if I just took the front mounted 120mm fan and put it on the ninja. I've tried it mouted either way and the noise isn't any different. Right now I just like having the Ninja fanless... for some reason. I just like saying I'm fanless. :)

_Durandal:

After reading the extensive SilentPC review, the basic config I described above still
makes sense to me. The review didn’t cause me to alter what I’m about to do
with the case, just reassured me that I’ve accounted for the drawbacks and will take advantage of its pluses.

I avoid the problem of the nVidia card’s heat effecting the CPU cooling as I will
use an ATI X1800XT video card whose fan vents most of its heat directly
out of the case. I will clear duct tape over the parts of the card’s exhaust
grille not covered by the exhaust vent.

My upper chamber HDD bay will be empty.

The lower chamber HDD bay will only have two HDDs:
2 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7200RPM 16MB
HDD NCQ/RoHS Model# ST3500641AS
http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/1,1081,705,00.html
I’ll use the installed lower chamber 120x38mm fan and keep it at LOW.

I will be using a PSU with a “smart fan” whose speed is determined by need.
Enermax Liberty EL620AWT 620W Modular PSU ATX12V v2.2
Model# ELT620AWT
http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/p...id=82&osCsid=080b20f7b751dd29e280544f2c6caf77

I won’t tape over the opening that surrounds the PSU.

The only other heat sources are the memory
Corsair XMS-3500LL PRO 2GB kit (2x1GB modules)
Mfr’s part number: TWINX2048-3500LLPRO
http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/asus_launch.html
and the CPU
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4800+

The Zalman HSF on the Asus A8N32-Sli Deluxe motherboard works well in this Antec
case as the fan’s intake is directly beside the RAM sticks, removing their heat, then
cools the CPU, blows on the heat-pipe radiator and vents into the upper rear 120x25mm fan.

After reading many reviews on this case and the other gear, I should have a
cool, quiet and fairly beefy system in normal use and have the ability to
easily adjust for better cooling whenever I need it (gaming) and keep the noise
within reason. That and the air-intakes are filtered.

I have no plans to over-clock anything.

Happy trailz,

I don't understand why people are adding so many fans.

I thought this case was meant to be a case for silent enthusiasts. Adding so many fans would defeat the purpose of the case.

I'm currently just using the 2 120mm fans, all set on low, and I even removed the bottom one because it was too loud and it was pretty useless in my config. All stock cooling. One HDD in the lower drive bay, and one in the upper.

The VGA duct is useless, so get rid of it.

While i'm not getting super low temps, I have nothing but the PWMs running past 50 degrees while priming.

I have 5 120mm fans.

1 in bottom chamber
1 front
2 outtake on back and top
one of my ninja

still silent since i got silent fans but omg my comp gets amazingly hot during gaming. I put my hand near the outtakes.. its such warm air... the only thing i hear out of my comp are my optical drives, my mobo, and my video card

raxen

I'm not adding any fans.
I said I would move the blowhole fan to the front.

For the PSU and CPU to have a fan is normal.
For the video card to have a fan is common.

Happy trailz,

Back