• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Oy, what a humbling experience.

RabidRodents

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
128
Heres the rundown. Overclock cpu, overclock video card. The cpu isnt really giving me great results, so I push the voltage on the memory a little to see if I can do something with it. This is all going on tonight, so when it doesnt boot, I go shit, what could it be. Turns out I fried a 512 stick. Phew though. Anyone else want to share an experience?
 
RabidRodents said:
Anyone else want to share an experience?

I just ate some cold spaghetti-Os out of the can and chased with a bawls. now I have the worst indigestion ever.
 
I tried to use a worm clamp on the outlet of my Danner Mag-350, but since they don't apply equal pressure all around, it pinched open the seal and sprayed water all over my new ASUS mobo. This was yesterday btw :eek:
 
didnt have any trouble with my worm clamps, i trust them more then the cheap feeling plastic clamps
 
Humm, experience.. Well, in an attempt to attach a Thermalright NB-1C on my northbridge, I actually killed the motherboard :( . This was almost 3 weeks ago.

Para
 
Last year while putting an Arctic Cooler on my 9800pro I popped a tiny square "electronic thingy" off the vid card. Must not have been very important as it works great to this day, and generously oc'd as well.
 
RabidRodents said:
Anyone else want to share an experience?

My waterpump is set up to a seperate 12v Radio Shack PSU. So you have to manually flick the switch before powering up the pc. ...well in all of my BIOS resets and updates I forgot (just one time) to turn off WAKE ON LAN. About the same time there was a pretty bad worm hitting cable/dsl modems hitting the Wake On LAN on most PCs to zombify them.

Needless to say my PC must have booted up several times w/o the water pump ON. Luckily I had the 70C CPU thermal limit turned on.. so the CPU would hit 70C then shut down.. however I had no idea how hot my 6800Uoc was getting until then. THe GPU was toasted. Luckily BFG lives up to their lifetime warranty and I'm happily using the replacement. w/o WOL (wake on LAN) turned on of course.
 
thats why i have my pump wired to my psu, i have amps to spare on it anyhow, two 18 amp rails :p
 
Needless to say my PC must have booted up several times w/o the water pump ON. Luckily I had the 70C CPU thermal limit turned on.. so the CPU would hit 70C then shut down.. however I had no idea how hot my 6800Uoc was getting until then. THe GPU was toasted. Luckily BFG lives up to their lifetime warranty and I'm happily using the replacement. w/o WOL (wake on LAN) turned on of course.

Yet another who is taking advantage of the system...YOU FRIED YOUR OWN DAMN GPU...why not have the morals to TAKE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for your actions? Why must we all pay for YOUR MISTAKE? ...and yes...we ALL pay for this crap...in the form of higher prices.

That is unless...of course...you provided full disclosure of the situation and BFG still coughed up the RMA....though I think this is highly doubtful.

I bet your parents are proud!

This nation is going to hell because noone has any idea what the concept of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is...

...ok...i'm done...

...and now we get to hear all the bullshit reasons why people justify theft...
 
FrizzleFried said:
Yet another who is taking advantage of the system...YOU FRIED YOUR OWN DAMN GPU...why not have the morals to TAKE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for your actions? Why must we all pay for YOUR MISTAKE? ...and yes...we ALL pay for this crap...in the form of higher prices.

That is unless...of course...you provided full disclosure of the situation and BFG still coughed up the RMA....though I think this is highly doubtful.

I bet your parents are proud!

This nation is going to hell because noone has any idea what the concept of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is...

...ok...i'm done...

...and now we get to hear all the bullshit reasons why people justify theft...

same reason i didnt rma or w/e my fx5900 which i modded to 5950, ups killed it, or i killed it while shipping it to ups, either one i made it into a key chain instead of even attempting to rma it
 
I'm not sure why you felt you had to take this thread off-topic and slam the guy for his misfortune. I think we've all had something of ours damaged by something or someone else. In situations where we have no way to seek restitution, it sucks to have to pay out twice.

I think its great that a company occasionally "looks the other way" during the rma process for somebody else's misfortune. Sure, people may abuse this, but I dont think this guy is an example of that.

As for your belief that rma and warranty claims affect the price you pay for a product, I think you might be miss informed. In general, the initial price of a product is equal to production costs (including r&d) and revenue markup (balanced by what the consumer will actually pay). The ongoing price of a product through out its lifespan is set by supply and demand. Warranty claims are generally low and only incur production and labor (manufacturing and warranty) costs. Now, there are other numbers involved, i know, but this is the general gist. With this being said, most companies see warranty as a minor cost of doing business.

Finally, to get back on-topic... My last memorable "event" was my overclocked celeron 366 (the good ol' days) when I up'd the voltage trying to get to 575 (or thereabouts). I cant rememeber the voltage I used, but I do remember the few brief momments it lived at 575 before hanging and never posting again.

And NO, I didnt rma it :)

-Chris
 
I'm not sure why you felt you had to take this thread off-topic and slam the guy for his misfortune.

[OFFTOPIC] No sir....I did not slam him for his misfortune, but for his conscious decision to rip off BFG (unless, as stated, he provided full disclosure and BFG decided to RMA anyway...)...

As for off-topic, you are right...sorry...

[/OFFTOPIC]

I have only managed to only screw up one computer component in my many years of being an enthusiast...aside from the occasional motherboard failure due to bad CAPs (I've had two MB's with leaky caps)...my video card waterblock sprung a very tiny leak and dripped on to my Sound Blaster Live and sizzled it a year and a half or so ago...

...and NO...I didn't RMA it either...I trashed it and bought a SB Audigy.
 
RabidRodents said:
Anyone else want to share an experience?
i damn near burned down my house with a pelt cooling solution that didn't have an adequate safety shutoff mechanism.

i should really put those pics up again, sometime soon.
 
I got really bored once and took apart a small deskfan, which I then installed (read: ghetto-rigged) into a case to cool down my dual Celly 350's. Unfortunately, I never got around to wiring it properly, so when it finally came time to take it out, I forgot to unplug the fan! Although I barely escaped destroying any components, let's just say high-voltage/amperage + steel computer case = blue sparks & melted/welded wires.


Fun times :)

http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/birdland/3997/images/mod1.jpg



P.S. Sorry for the huge pic: I don't have any image editing software loaded into this new compy yet and I can't figure out any pseudo-html commands to display it any smaller!
 
windows xp powertoys, i use the resizer all the time, its really handy and if your on mac or linux, imagemagick, either platform, no excuse ;)
 
insanarchist said:
P.S. Sorry for the huge pic: I don't have any image editing software loaded into this new compy yet and I can't figure out any pseudo-html commands to display it any smaller!
image is a good size for me.

granted, my monitor is big enough to buckle into the passanger seat of my car, however i have NEVER run across an image that i though was too large on these forums.
 
I got really bored once and took apart a small deskfan, which I then installed (read: ghetto-rigged) into a case to cool down my dual Celly 350's. Unfortunately, I never got around to wiring it properly, so when it finally came time to take it out, I forgot to unplug the fan! Although I barely escaped destroying any components, let's just say high-voltage/amperage + steel computer case = blue sparks & melted/welded wires.

Hahahaha....classic!

Glad you managed not to kill yourself....

I wonder if the CFM of that fan was enough for your Celly 350's??

Heheh...
 
idiot said:
Yet another who is taking advantage of the system...

hey cpt. sir-flames alot.

I spent an extra $50 to get the BFG branded GPu because of their lifetime policy. I explained to the engineer what had happened, and they were cool with the RMA. Get off the chem imbalanced rage.

BFG Llinkage.
http://www.bfgtech.com/tech_redux.html#lifetime

let's get back on topic.
 
well I think that addresses that little tirade enough to lay it to rest


I can relate how I likely fried a mobo with EMF\EMI when I ducted a 3"x 3" AC driven Squirrelcage blower to my CPU heatsink, it cooled it great though :p

(31C)

it was fed by an AC
 
Back
Top