Own Joorself a Cray!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
7.4GFLOPs...

somebody refresh my memory, what'll you get out of a single high-end Xeon or Opteron?

Who cares, it is a freaking cray super computer. If lived close enough to pick the bitch up I would bid in a sec. Very nice find!!!

Originally posted by ameoba
7.4GFLOPs...

somebody refresh my memory, what'll you get out of a single high-end Xeon or Opteron?

the highest intel in sisoft sandra is:
intel pentium 4-C (2 SMT) 3.2ghz 512 L2
7139MFLOPS

a local pharmaceutical company a few years back was trying to get rid of a liquid cooled cray becuase it was too expenisive to run with electrical costs.

Yeah... they're going to suck power, require a well-cooled server room, and probably need some 'odd' industrial-type 3-phase power.

If you're gettting 7.2GFLOPs from a pair of P4s, and 7.4 from 20 of what this Cray is running on, it wouldn't take much work to get a quad-SMP box or a smallish cluster to overtake it.

Really, the best thing to do would be to part it out on eBay to people who want a piece of a supercomputer. I'd probably pick up a RAM or CPU board from this thing...

I work for cray actually :D, I am very proud to be a party of this company. While the price for that computer may be cheap the electrical costs will bankrupt you.

Originally posted by huxley
I work for cray actually :D, I am very proud to be a party of this company. While the price for that computer may be cheap the electrical costs will bankrupt you.

in looking it is 3.2 gflops not 7.4
the 7.4 is Kw which means 7.4 kilowatts an hour.
where i live electricity is 7-8cents an hour so

7.4 x 8 = 59.2 or call it 60 cents an hour. running 24/7 for 30 days would make your bill $432 for electricity if you lived like the unibomber elsewise

with a 70 amp draw (amps = watts / volts) you would have not a lot of room for running anything else anyway.

ahaha used to have one of those at grumman, but it was round and had something like seats on it!

"If you're gettting 7.2GFLOPs from a pair of P4s, and 7.4 from 20 of what this Cray is running on, it wouldn't take much work to get a quad-SMP box or a smallish cluster to overtake it."

Not to be picky, but the Sandra score is Mflops, not Gflops. But what's a few orders of magnitude among friends!

;) :D

Originally posted by dainthomas
"If you're gettting 7.2GFLOPs from a pair of P4s, and 7.4 from 20 of what this Cray is running on, it wouldn't take much work to get a quad-SMP box or a smallish cluster to overtake it."

Not to be picky, but the Sandra score is Mflops, not Gflops. But what's a few orders of magnitude among friends!

;) :D

Well the original sandra score was 7,139 MFLOPS (Dual Xeon), which equates to 7.1GFLOPS. And the specs on the cray state it is 3.2GFLOPS, so 1 P4 Xeon 3.2GHz would be roughly equivalent to that cray computer.

Originally posted by Weeze-Dog
Well the original sandra score was 7,139 MFLOPS (Dual Xeon), which equates to 7.1GFLOPS. And the specs on the cray state it is 3.2GFLOPS, so 1 P4 Xeon 3.2GHz would be roughly equivalent to that cray computer.
dude, WHAT THE FUCK are you talking about?

DUAL P4 = 7,139 MILLION FLOATING OPERATIONS PER SECOND

CRAY = 7,100 BILLION FLOATING OPERATIONS PER SECOND

billion > million

god damn it i figured you meant 7,100 gflops instead of 7.1, and had a typo or something

but then i read the page and it says 3.2, and wher ethe fuck did you get 7.1 from anyway?

that piece of crap is from 1996 back when pentium 133s were king

Couple of points of miscommunication:

1) It's 3.2GFlops = 3,200 MFlops = about the same total speed as a current high end PC. However, that being said, this is a RISC Multiscalar architecture and would in pure math still hand your PC it's head on a platter.

2) It uses 7.4KW. You would have to have a seperate 100Amp service setup to run this....or have at least 50Amp 220v circuit (or 70amp 120V circuit) free on your home's service panel. (most home have a max of 200amp service with some older houses only having 100 or 150amp service).

Note: this is power consumption needed to just run this monstrosity, it does not cover the needed HVAC system needed to cool this monstrosity. Most of these systems are installed in computing rooms that are cooled with large air conditioner systems. While you could convert this system over to watercooling, remember you will need at least the following parts: 16 waterblocks, enough hosing and connectors for the coolant (I would reccomend a minimum of 1" tubing), a high flow/long life pump (I reccomend finding a good well pump), and a heat exchanger and fan large enough to handle the load (I reccomend finding your local heat-pump installer and bastardize one of those heat exchangers, or use several large truck radiators & a large box fan for each). As well as a good sized reseviour to buffer the system (minimum of 20 gallons, more like a good 30Gallon tank).

3) Shipping this thing is going to require freight service and will probably cost you upwards of $200 minimum. Unless you live locally and can pick this up yourself (and have a pickup or trailer capable of transporting about a 3/4 ton of computer).

4) the 4GB of memory is probably in 16 or 32MB SIMM's, if not a proprietary memory architecture. (Probably 256MB of ram per processor and is installed on the Processor daughter card, or 4 processors per card with a GB of ram installed onto the card (4x256MB DIMM's maybe). If the Cray guy could look us up the specifics he probably can tell us.

5) The system doesn't come with any HDD's. However, it probably uses standard SCSI devices.

This being said if someone does buy this thing and set it up, they can probably be guaranteed their 15 minutes of fame on /. and [H]ardOCP. :D

We had a Cray XMP at my last office. It didnt do anything... wasnt plugged in. You can go to the Air and Space museum in Washington D.C. and see an original Cray (Like the ones mentioned in the book: Jurrasic Park)

I believe they run some form of HPUX. I could be wrong.

There was an SGI Supercomputer on Ebay recently with 32 Processors and like 5 Terabytes of HD space. It went for a measly $1,800. Woulda blown this thing out of the water.

Originally posted by nicka wutt
dude, WHAT THE FUCK are you talking about?

DUAL P4 = 7,139 MILLION FLOATING OPERATIONS PER SECOND

CRAY = 7,100 BILLION FLOATING OPERATIONS PER SECOND

billion > million

hey asshat, the cray is 7 POINT 1 billion, the dual p4 is 7000 million

Originally posted by kronchev
hey asshat, the cray is 7 POINT 1 billion, the dual p4 is 7000 million

Yep, 7000 X 1000000 = 7,000,000,000

So 7.1 TRILLION is > than 7.1 Billion.

Originally posted by napsterhaven
Yep, 7000 X 1000000 = 7,000,000,000

So 7.1 TRILLION is > than 7.1 Billion.

well this one is 3.2 GFLOPS, that means 3200 flops right?

if the p4 is 7100Mflops, thats 7,100,000,000 flops right?

whats the G mean then?

Maybe if enough people donated, the [H]orde could buy it, and use it as a mascot of sorts.

Originally posted by Hooligan
you think it'll run WinXP? ;)

That thing would fold winxp in half!

And at 7.4kw a month power consumption, it would require a small generator running 24/7 to power the thing.

I'd bid $500 if I had it just to tweak them a little.

Would be a nice relic to own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back