Overwrite default keyboard volume controls when external device connected

nry

Limp Gawd
Just had a mad idea, I connect my iMac to my amp through TOSLINK and the only way to control my amp is via IR (or get off my bum to use the volume control :rolleyes:)

Is there a way in which I could overwrite the standard functions of these buttons (ideally only when an external device is connected) to call a command line script to send IR signals via USB?

There might be.
But this "issue" isn't exclusive to OSX. If you're sending a digital signal, there isn't anyway to control or send information about volume.

This same "issue" exists when using A/V components in general. Your TV, DVD player, Game systems etc. don't control the volume when they are connected via Toslink to a receiver. The receiver does.

In regards to your specific question, someone would have to know a bit about scripting, know about IR in regards to scripting in OSX, and the Mac in question would have to be able to send IR. Hopefully someone else will have a more useful response.

Sorry should have been more specific, I already have IR sending working either by my Raspberry Pi and partly working with a USB UIRT device with LIRC. So all I need to do is intercept the keys on OSX with some script of some sort and call the LIRC command
eg
Code:
irsend SEND_ONCE DENON KEY_VOLUMEUP

Back