Overwhelmed by Android devices... recommendations?

djBon2112

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking to get a replacement to my HTC Magic as it's slowly fading away, but I'm honestly overwhelmed by the choices available! I was originally looking at a Nexus One, but they're not available anymore, and their official replacement, the HTC Desire, is completely sold out here in Canada! And now I look to see dozens of other Android phones! I remember when it was just "Do you want a physical keyboard?" :p

I need a solid Android phone, with a 3.5" headphone jack, and (ideally) rootable and bootloader-crackable (for custom ROMS). That last one is vastly preferred, though it isn't a deal breaker. If a phone has a physical keyboard, I'll probably never use it, so that doesn't matter (oh yea, not touchscreen = deal breaker :p)

What do you guys use, and recommend? And, Canadians, who's it with (I'm Rogers)?

On Rogers pretty much your only choice is the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate. Mine's in the mail :D
The only other decent option is the Sony Xperia X10, but it's quite dated now with Android 1.6 and no multitouch.

If you want to move to another carrier you can get the Galaxy S Vibrant on Bell or the HTC Desire Z if you want a keyboard. Telus is coming out with the Galaxy S Fascinate, but who knows when.

I like the looks of the Captivate, but it doesn't seem like I'm eligible for a hardware upgrade yet :mad:

if you can find a nexus one, that might be your best bet. if you can find a galaxy s unlocked for rogers, it will be good money. a used nexus on redflagdeals goes for 500ish. galaxy s would be a sweet phone for sure, but im happy getting quick updates on the nexus too

edit: didnt know that galaxy s was available via rogers. thats a good contender too

Last edited:
Rogers upped the HUP eligibility from 24 months to 30 months, then reverted the change when people flooded their retentions department. If you call Rogers and tell them you're going to Bell for the Vibrant, they'll most likely grant you early HUP eligibility and ship you a Captivate. ;)

Well, I went into a Rogers store and started playing with a demo Captivate; it's not bad, but I find it a little too big for me to use one-handed (same problem with the iPhone). I think I'm going to suck it up, cancel my Rogers contract and go to Telus for the HTC Desire ($80 on a 3-year). The sad thing is it's still cheaper than buying one new or a Nexus used. :(

I picked up a htc legend a few days ago and I'm pretty sure they're available in Canada, and it's nice and very durable. I also have a xperia x10 and since it's getting the android 2.1 update, has a very nice 8 mp camera and a huge 4 inch screen it's a great choice.

droid x10 with 2.1 update on sunday for northamerica

I say pricematch at at&t store
no contract droidx10 and samsung droid for about 250 dollars phone only in at&t store
have the pricematch online price though
so print out and go to bm store

I'm just waiting for the day when I can upgrade my Motorola Droid. I like it overall, but typing on the 3.7" screen (correct me if I'm wrong), is a bit difficult. I guess the tips of my finders and thumbs are not as "pointed" as most people. I have so many mispellings it's not even funny; even after several cumulative hours of touch screen typing.

I tried the Droid X (got mixed reviews) with the 4.3" touch screen and I had no issues whatsoever. The problem is, do I really wanna carry around a phone with a 4.3" screen. Seems kinda big to put in a pocket.

Since you're in canada, Bell has the new HTC Desire Z for $129 with a 3 year contract. Only caveat is that you have to deal with Bell.

I'm just waiting for the day when I can upgrade my Motorola Droid. I like it overall, but typing on the 3.7" screen (correct me if I'm wrong), is a bit difficult. I guess the tips of my finders and thumbs are not as "pointed" as most people. I have so many mispellings it's not even funny; even after several cumulative hours of touch screen typing.

I tried the Droid X (got mixed reviews) with the 4.3" touch screen and I had no issues whatsoever. The problem is, do I really wanna carry around a phone with a 4.3" screen. Seems kinda big to put in a pocket.

swype will solve your problem, i was sick of miss typing on the N1 until i installed swype, now i can pretty much text without looking.

Samsung Epic 4g - though I use swype for texting, the hard keypad is a must for emulators...which the android store SELLS....do you have any idea how awesome it was for me to revisit FF6 or ChronoTrigger in the palm of my hand, anywhere, built into my cellphone?

Samsung Epic 4g - though I use swype for texting, the hard keypad is a must for emulators...which the android store SELLS....do you have any idea how awesome it was for me to revisit FF6 or ChronoTrigger in the palm of my hand, anywhere, built into my cellphone?

I want to use emulators heavily as well, but was considering HTC Incredible. Is it impossible to play without a hardware keyboard? Or, is it really that uncomfortable?

I want to use emulators heavily as well, but was considering HTC Incredible. Is it impossible to play without a hardware keyboard? Or, is it really that uncomfortable?

Not impossible, just really awkward. No tactile feedback, no feeling where keys are, etc..

Well, I have a Motorola Droid (rooted, of course) and I have the gamegripper for playing my emulators and for the most part, its fairly decent. That said the Motorola Droid is showing its age and even overclocking it, it still lags behind the newer phones. My manager picked up the Samsung Fascinate (same as the Captivate) and its a really nice step up. Several of my co-workers have the other various favors of the Android madness (Droid X, Incredible, Droid 2) so I get to play with them all and I'm really leaning toward the Fascinate as my next pho
ne. It matches the Droid X, but has the oh so sweet WVGA Super AMOLED screen. If I was on Sprint, I've get the EVO, hands down... but i'm on Verizon ;)

Though I think I'm at the point where I can do without the physical keyboard, as I'm barely using mine now.

Well most have a 'Tactile feedback' vibrate option. ;)

Haptic feedback really isn't the same. Just knowing you pushed the button really isn't the same as tactile feedback. Feeling the shape and edge of the buttons plus having an actual, however small, change in height goes a long way for things like games or even password entry.

Well most have a 'Tactile feedback' vibrate option. ;)

Sure, but it sucks. It's massively delayed and vibrate doesn't differentiate between thumbs, for example. Also some phones don't handle a short vibrate burst very well. The Moto Droid 1, for example, has like a minimum vibrate duration that is way too long for anything fast paced. It works well for the 4 soft buttons, works terrible for keyboards or games.

Back