Overwatch Will Tell You in-Game if your Report Resulted in Action

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Most online games these days have more than their fair share of idiots that want to do nothing but harass and irritate people just because they can. Blizzard wants to slow some of this down in Overwatch and are going to introduce a new feature that will let you know in-game if your report resulted in the reportee having action taken against him. They don't believe it will stop all of the harassment, but they do believe it's going to slow it down. I'm not sure if this is going to help things much and I honestly believe some people need to grow a thicker skin, however, if this gets rid of the serious trolls then I'm all for it.

This is part of a wider effort against toxicity, which is ongoing but sees its first major efforts in the Winter Wonderland patch. "[Another] feature is that if you've been reported a bunch and you're getting close to an action against your account - meaning a silence, a suspension, or a ban - you're actually going to get a warning now that tells you 'hey, you're kind've behaving poorly. If you don't chill out pretty soon you're gonna get suspended.' We think that warning will help with some of that behaviour."

I dont see how you can really trust such a system since people know there's no way to verify a report they just abuse it. I always play off comms and /hidechat because I play a lot of sym/bastion/torb and dont feel like listening to the rage kiddies whine about my hero picks. I'm a 3700sr master for the last 6 seasons now with over 1500 hrs played so i know what I'm doing, and yet any game in which I dont absolutely carry my team with these off-meta picks I get reported. It's almost to the point where I dont even care to help my team because if I unhide chat all I see are people begging to report me, and half the time the enemy team defending me since they recognized the impact I was making. I've never been banned though so I guess there's that.

I got reported by all five of my team members when my internet hiccuped and kicked me out of the comp game.

It could also be that they didn't like me playing Hanzo.

As long it it is ONLY used to deal with abusive chat and harassment and not play style. Never played Overwatch but nysmo's issues with folks whining about builds they consider sup-optimal is far too common in many on line games and for that matter table top games. The whiny folks often conveniently overlook the fact that the character they are complaining about is doing better then their "By what Youtube showed them" perfect build.

OTOH, the early warning notice about possible account action is a good thing, as long as they also include proof of the unacceptable behavior. Double Secret Probation won't help fix problems.

Oh this won't be abused.
The fucking thing is already abused without it. If your team doesn't like what you pick they'll report you and start campaigning for the other team to report you as well it's like the mob mentality. This game is made for carebear kids. There nothing to protect the person being accused since the bans are automated after they reach a certain number.

The fucking thing is already abused without it. If your team doesn't like what you pick they'll report you and start campaigning for the other team to report you as well it's like the mob mentality. This game is made for carebear kids. There nothing to protect the person being accused since the bans are automated after they reach a certain number.

Oh sure, blame the care bears when what you describe has nothing to do with that. Being kicked for playing something they don't like is what "l337" people do. Care bears couldn't care less about what you pick, but they will kick you for being rude. Oh wait, your username has XxX in it...

Which has a worse community, this game or MOBA's (take your pick)?

MOBA Gweenz, as OW can be bad at times, at least there are good spots in between.

The real issue here is too many people reporting for the shit that doesn't matter, like class played and what not. What kills me is when you playing competitive and see a teammate helping the other side, or constantly putting up symm portals to insta death locations, like bridge ledges. So these people just continue to get away with dumb shit while the 9 people reporting someone for playing Torb in an assault map get the attention. Don't even get me started on the people who leave mid match if a round is lost or is starting to look like a loss.

paragon from epic games started doing this about 6 months back. Still nothing has changed since their penalty system erases warnings after a few games so if you just don't fk up for a day once you get a warning all your behavior is reset.

Easy way to solve it is this:

If you are getting kicked from a group due to class played, make it a majority vote and don’t issue warnings / bans for it. Caveat is, that team will be down a member.

If you are an asshole in game, make the report feature available. That will count towards that person getting silenced / banned from the game.

This will significantly cut down on the moderation that needs to be done.

Back