Overwatch Open Beta Extended

HardOCP News

[H] News
Blizzard announced over the weekend that the Overwatch open beta has been extended until tomorrow. So, if you haven't given the open beta a shot, you have until Tuesday, May 10 at 10:00 AM to do so.

We hope everyone has been enjoying the Overwatch Open Beta. We certainly have! We've loved being able to play alongside you on PC, PS4, and Xbox One. Over the last week, we've also had the opportunity to listen to your thoughts and opinions on the game; make improvements based on your reports in these very forums; and collect invaluable data just from you playing normally. We couldn't be more grateful. So, as a small way of saying "thank you" to our community and the millions of players who've logged in so far, we will be extending the Open Beta by 1 day on all platforms. This means the beta will now conclude on May 10 at 10:00 a.m. PDT in all regions.

This game has been a blast, managed to hit rank 25 over the week, probably 20+ hours of gameplay put in. Blizzard really knows how to craft an addicting game, they could be drug dealers in another life.

If only I actually had any free time this weekend. Does Blizzard ever do free weekends like other games to entice new players? I'd hate to give them that kind of money for a crappy FPS.

...... Blizzard really knows how to craft an addicting game, they could be drug dealers in another life.

As someone who was motivated to learn about home networking so I could host Diablo 1 LAN parties, I can state that "Yes, they do!"

Wonder if anyone has created a nude Tracer mod pack yet?

As someone who was motivated to learn about home networking so I could host Diablo 1 LAN parties, I can state that "Yes, they do!"

Wonder if anyone has created a nude Tracer mod pack yet?

After the whole pose fiasco I am assure you that there is plenty of that.

If only I actually had any free time this weekend. Does Blizzard ever do free weekends like other games to entice new players? I'd hate to give them that kind of money for a crappy FPS.

I believe all Blizzard games have some sort of "trial" method, if not at launch then added later.

If the Beta is actually what is in the full release I feel the game is severely lacking in diversity and content. That being said the game is fun for what little it has.

I wasn't impressed at all with trailers and gameplay videos. Played it for 3 hours and had to pre-order.

I mean, it's not /bad/... but as Rahh said, there's just not much there. It's another first person team based arena shooter, just a little more polished than the others. There's no variety, no wow, and the powers/abilities of the various characters often feel underwhelming and simplistic. I've played probably 4 or 5 hours and see no reason to order. This should've been a free to play game selling quicker unlocks and skins like League of Legends, it's in no way worth the $60 asking price. Maybe $15 at the most, and even that I'd have a hard time justifying given all the other options out there.

It's actually $40, $60 gets you Blizzard extras, and as far as the lack of variety, what more can you ask for? The game has 21 heroes to pick from all with a completely unique skill set. 10 years ago I would kill for a game like this, I played Unreal Tournament for years and every character was exactly the same. Counter-Strike? Tribes? All these games boiled down to the same core concept and went unchanged for decades. Fun is in the gameplay, not so much the paint and colors that get placed ontop. I hate F2P, making everything unlockable is bullshit, I am glad Blizzard made this a 1 time pay to play with everything unlocked upfront aside from cosmetics.

I mean, it's not /bad/... but as Rahh said, there's just not much there. It's another first person team based arena shooter, just a little more polished than the others. There's no variety, no wow, and the powers/abilities of the various characters often feel underwhelming and simplistic. I've played probably 4 or 5 hours and see no reason to order. This should've been a free to play game selling quicker unlocks and skins like League of Legends, it's in no way worth the $60 asking price. Maybe $15 at the most, and even that I'd have a hard time justifying given all the other options out there.
To be fair it's only $40 on PC.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Which is still $25+ too much for what it is.

Agree to disagree. I haven't had this much fun playing a FPS in years. I wouldn't mind a little more variety in terms of maps/modes, but the game is fantastic in almost every aspect in my opinion and I'm happy to pay $40 for it.

It's pretty fun. I have never played a blizzard game before. The beta is in pretty good shape. Lots of maps and It looks like you can choose all the heroes. BF4 beta for example didn't have nearly this much content. I'm sure they will improve and I may pick it up later after I sell my house. haha

I've heard it is good, but haven't honestly even given it much thought. Too busy with new D3 season and too many other games absorbing my time right now to get involved with one that will cost me more money. Those who aren't busy though, you should try it.

I wasn't impressed at all with trailers and gameplay videos. Played it for 3 hours and had to pre-order.

Same here, trailers and gameplay videos can't really convey what a blast this game is to play, especially when you don't really know what you are watching (i.e. don't know the different characters and their various abilities.)

It's actually $40, $60 gets you Blizzard extras, and as far as the lack of variety, what more can you ask for? The game has 21 heroes to pick from all with a completely unique skill set. 10 years ago I would kill for a game like this, I played Unreal Tournament for years and every character was exactly the same. Counter-Strike? Tribes? All these games boiled down to the same core concept and went unchanged for decades. Fun is in the gameplay, not so much the paint and colors that get placed ontop. I hate F2P, making everything unlockable is bullshit, I am glad Blizzard made this a 1 time pay to play with everything unlocked upfront aside from cosmetics.

Also the Origins edition, the one that costs $60, can be bought on cdkeys.com for $45.

Agree to disagree. I haven't had this much fun playing a FPS in years. I wouldn't mind a little more variety in terms of maps/modes, but the game is fantastic in almost every aspect in my opinion and I'm happy to pay $40 for it.

I haven't really gotten into multiplayer shooters in a laong time either, honestly probably since Planetside 1, but I absolutely love this game.

It's funny because I paid absolutely zero attention to this game, and had watch and read nothing about it as I was thinking it was a MOBA style game, and that didn't interest me. Then a members of my gaming clan offered up a key for the early access to the open beta and I figured why not, and was hooked almost instantly.

If you like the game, or wonder about some of the choices, you should definately watch "The Story of Overwatch" on Gamespot's YouTube channel.

Same here, trailers and gameplay videos can't really convey what a blast this game is to play, especially when you don't really know what you are watching (i.e. don't know the different characters and their various abilities.)

Also the Origins edition, the one that costs $60, can be bought on cdkeys.com for $45.

I haven't really gotten into multiplayer shooters in a laong time either, honestly probably since Planetside 1, but I absolutely love this game.

It's funny because I paid absolutely zero attention to this game, and had watch and read nothing about it as I was thinking it was a MOBA style game, and that didn't interest me. Then a members of my gaming clan offered up a key for the early access to the open beta and I figured why not, and was hooked almost instantly.

If you like the game, or wonder about some of the choices, you should definately watch "The Story of Overwatch" on Gamespot's YouTube channel.

I reacted the same way, when the trailer for Overwatch came out I was like "Oh great.. another cash grab by Blizzard." but when I played during the open stress test I was seriously impressed by how polished and fun the game is.

I'm just amazed my PC can play it smoothly. I tried the beta for a few hours on the xbox and sucked horribly at it (its been years and years since I've played a FPS on console).

For shits and giggles I tried it on my PC and tho the graphics were low it played smoothly and I did a heck of a lot better. I know blizzard tends to try and cater to a wider PC audience by not making their games require a crap ton of power but my PC was built in 08.

I haven't really decided on my opinion of it yet. My first gripe is even high ranked players are idiots and can't seem to play well together. About the only way to get a good team is if you arrange for a group of friends to play at the same time. When your team comes together though, it's really easy to dominate.

It seems a lot of the time I spend switching characters to counter whatever the other teams dominate character is.

The game does not have 21:9 support. The heroes of the storm division figured it doesn't help players all that much, but it seen that the overwatch devs didnt get the memo, blizzard is so fragmented.

and as others have said, this should have been free, and I still am not sure I would give it too many hours. It's really bland.

Finally got a chance to play.

Game feels like a team fortress 2 clone with titties and more characters and more abilities buttons. I made a Battle.net account for that? What a waste!

I understand the move toward more characters with more varying abilities buttons to make multiplayer FPS games harder to master, but it doesn't do anything for me. That many context-sensitive buttons are something you should only have to deal with after you've been playing awhile and want to make scripts. It shouldn't be half the fucking buttons when you start playing.

If it were ten bucks I'd pay for it despite it's deficiencies, but they want me to drop 40 for that crap.

Last edited:
Anyone who calls Overwatch a TF2 clone hasn't played TF2 since 2008 or perhaps ever.

TF2 is a silly F2P game overflowing with micro-transactions and populated by pre-teens who spam memes while dancing around the map angrily denouncing the people who shoot at them as "tryhards". Also, hackers. A metric ape ton of hackers.

Overwatch is a class-based shooter..

Anyone who calls Overwatch a TF2 clone hasn't played TF2 since 2008 or perhaps ever.

TF2 is a silly F2P game overflowing with micro-transactions and populated by pre-teens who spam memes while dancing around the map angrily denouncing the people who shoot at them as "tryhards". Also, hackers. A metric ape ton of hackers.

Overwatch is a class-based shooter..

Been playing TF2 quite a few times in the last year. The freemium assholes have vacated for something newer to troll, leaving only the dedicated players.

/me preordered the Orange Box, so I know what I'm talking about. The team-play isn't as tight and hectic as it was in the first two years, but the trolls have passed. I haven't been owned by anyone I suspect of hacking yet, so I think the loss of population turned them off as well.

I remember putting the game down about a year after they made it free to play, but I've checked in on the game about once a year. Finally this year things have cleared up, so Overwatch has competition. Especially with all the new maps I've missed out on all these years :D

Last edited:
Played for a few hours as D.VA. I noticed some of the characters are really strong and felt overpowered to me.

dva1.jpg
dva2.jpg
dva3.jpg

Back