Overwatch Animated Short “Hero”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Blizzard has released their final Overwatch animated short, which stars Soldier: 76.

Soldier: 76 is pure chaotic-goodness, the gold-hearted, grizzled vet who will never abandon his mission. His origin trailer debuted in July (it's below) and positions him as a pivotal figure in the Overwatch story: commander of the good guys, distrusted or taken for granted by the citizens, doomed in a raid on Overwatch HQ and now believed dead. Soldier: 76's gravelly nihilism may be an action-movie trope, but there's still enough optimism to keep him in the business of saving children and blowing the bullies away. Verdict: Good dude and a sweet trailer.

It was supposed to star: Soldier 69, but he was... uh... takin care of business along with a few of the other Overwatch hotties. :kiss:

Blizzard is outstanding at these little cinema masterpieces, they really are. I hope they eventually make a short for each of the characters, they've been fantastic so far and the game itself is a blast to play (was in the weekend beta a few weeks back, just had a great time during that little sample period).

If they turned Overwatch into an animated series with as rich a backstory as they've crafted, I bet it would turn out to be a massive hit as well. Damned awesome work in all these shorts so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was really well done as most of Blizzard's animations are. I enjoyed watching it.
Blizzard is outstanding at these little cinema masterpieces, they really are. I hope they eventually make a short for each of the characters, they've been fantastic so far and the game itself is a blast to play (was in the weekend beta a few weeks back, just had a great time during that little sample period).

If they turned Overwatch into an animated series with as rich a backstory as they've crafted, I bet it would turn out to be a massive hit as well. Damned awesome work in all these shorts so far.
Completely agree with this. (y)

Is this really the final short? I was hoping they'd at least do one for Zenyatta or Bastion so we could get a worldview from an Omnic.

I doubt it's the final short. That being said I have enjoyed what they've done so far and the game is fun but lacking in some in-game map content. I'd like to see more destructible and interactive aspects of the maps they had in beta. I loved the action but the environments seemed lacking to me.

Back