• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overscan issue driving me crazy...

gibber

Gawd
Joined
Jul 16, 2007
Messages
759
WTF was ATi thinking when they came up with this assinine stupidity? (Black bars around edges of screen)

I could understand if they had an OPTION to allow this sort of overscan compensation feature, but when I buy an LCD monitor marketed for PC use, and hook it up through the included DVI-to-HDMI adapter cable, it should use the whole friggen screen.

These heinous black bars make me want to throw this new monitor out the window like the guy in the youtube video (the one that gets angry and it's all caught on the security camera).

If I read one more suggestion to "use the RGB cable" I am going to loose more of my hair - WHY people, why would you tell someone who just bought an LCD monitor to use ANALOG?

Would you tell somebody who just bought a new car that it's ok if only 5 of the 6 cylinders are working??!?

I did find "Basic" and "HDTV" options but the highest resolution listed under "Basic" is 1650 x 1080 whereas the "HDTV" (with the black bars from hell) offers the full 1920 x 1080 choice.

I will hookup internet to that other PC later so I can post exactly which video card, drivers, and monitor... I installed whichever ATi drivers were the latest a few months ago. Perhaps since it's a "lower end" (low profile, fanless, low end video card) they decided to hide the "Overscan" options in the CCC? Argh.
 
This is simple to fix, stop ranting. Two clicks of a mouse button is all it takes to find the overscan settings.

Just go into ccc panel and into your monitor properties, there will be a scaling options section. Just slide the bar over to 0% when you are using 1920*1080.
 
Ugh, this should be a sticky on every AMD/ATi video card forum...

You have to:

1) In CCC go to "Desktops & Displays"
2) RIGHT CLICK on the little display icon in the bottom left corner
3) Select "Configure"
4) Go to the "Scaling Options" tab
5) Set it to "0% Overscan"

I looked at probably 50 threads before I finally came across the bit explaining how to get to the "Scaling Options" menu :(
 
This is simple to fix, stop ranting. Two clicks of a mouse button is all it takes to find the overscan settings.

Just go into ccc panel and into your monitor properties, there will be a scaling options section. Just slide the bar over to 0% when you are using 1920*1080.
If it was simple enough then you wouldn't see hundreds of threads with people complaining about the black bars!

If I go to "Desktop Properties" and right-click on the big screen shown in the center and select "Properties" it does not show me Overscan options. Every other way I tried to get to "Display Properties" did not show me any Overscan options - it was not until I found the explanation on how to get to "Configure" that I was able to see any kind of Overscan options. If it is that hard to find there is no way in hell the black bars should be set to ON by default!

--------------------

Why my rant? ...I figured out how to recover data from a RAID array where there was a double disk failure using UNIX' low level copy to manually rebuild a drive (saved over a week's worth of work on an NBC TV show), I've taught people how to use software I've never SEEN before just by pretending that I know it and showing them as I learn, I can program in over seven different programming languages, I used to be able to trace machine code in hex, A+, Microsoft etc certifications were all easy, but... Those damn black bars, just too irritating for me to figure out without finally finding a post explaining how to get to the menu...
 
Last edited:
I find it annoying too. even worse if you set it to GPU scaling, it sometimes breaks their overscan settings and makes it non-adjustable. Nvidia doesn't have anything like that (overscan) and it's a smart move. Ati has been carrying this "feature" for years and it's just plain ridiculous. Idiot move on their part and it amazes me that it continues, year after year after year.
 
On the old CCC control panel they were sort of buried under the HDTV settings, but in the new CCC they are really easy to find.
overscan.png
 
Yes it was a PITA in the old CCC. I had the same issue and I made a thread about it (although I didn't rant) and finally figured it out.
 
nVidia has had these issues before. My workmates and I all have the same monitor (Viewsonic VX2835) which has a HDMI in. To start with the nVidia cards would put out a larger image than the screen even with the resolution set right, only way round that was VGA cable or setting up a custom resolution. ATi only had issues over the last 6 months with this if I remeber right, however it is bloody annoying.
 
Back
Top