override automatic removable drive letter assignment?

dep01

Limp Gawd
Is it possible to do this? Currently I'm on a network with Drives C-E being used for my hard drives and CD-ROMs, drive F is a network drive. When I plug in my removable drive USB, it tries to assign to drive F and I have problems. I have to disconnect my network drive in order to make it work.

Is it possible to tell this removable device to show up as, say, drive Q?

one solution is to assign my CDROM drive over to another letter and then the removable device will show up as drive E... Any better options?

thanks for any help.

Solved elsewhere, fyi:

" I've seen this happen before at my office with a digital camera. What OS are you running? If you have Win2K/XP Pro, plug in the device and then go into your Administrative Tools and then into Computer Management. Click on Disk Management. You can right-click on any of the devices and select "Change Drive Letter and Path" to make changes to the drives.

I believe I had to do this with all the peripherals plugged in, and assigned the drive letter to my camera that didn't conflict with other drive letters, and it worked from then on out.

Good luck."

It seems your removeable drive is just taking the next available drive letter without checking the network. I would suggest remapping your network drive as drive Z or something. That would free up F and your removeable drive would not give you problems any more.

Back