• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overoverclocked my 9800 pro :(

Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
2,668
So I am a moron to start off with. I've had Ati Tool for awhile now and usually haven't done much with it since I am cpu limited. Well the other day I was tryign to figure out how it worked and it didn't seem to be saving anything I set. So out of stupidity I raised the core clock speed up to about 5-600 mhz to see if it did anything. Well the system froze and I immediately did a cold shut down. So I'm left there going "I knew that would happened...I'm a moron....." Anyways so far all of my games play fine except after a bit of play BF2 starts getting crazy shapes distortions and a sepia like color change then eventually my computer shuts down and restarts itself. The error message on the restart is an Ati Driver Error ; aka the card overheated or something.

I was wondering if I am SOL on this one or if there was a way I could perhaps repair my ol' card. If not I think a 6800 vanilla would be my best bet for a new card.... :( Here is my current system. P4 2.66, 1gb PC3200, 9800 Pro.
 
Well a few things. Where did you get the crazy idea you're CPU limited? You're not. Now that, that is over with.

Does any other game do this? Do you have the latest drivers? Have you tried running Driver Cleaner?
 
Reinstall the drivers just in case but it sounds like you overheated the card a bit too much. It could very well be dead. But I dunno, a few seconds at that clock shouldn't KILL it I dont think.. that sucks.

~Adam
 
So far CSS runs flawless with everything maxed out at 1152x resolution like it always has. Seems like just BF2 does, and I'm guessing with good reason since that probably puts the most strain on it. I'll prolly go play Doom 3 and see if that gets the same affect to be sure though.

Could this actually be a problem with the drivers and BF2......? I never even imagined it could be that...
 
Hmm played Doom 3 for about 15 minutes and nothing wrong happened.... beginning to wonder if something is screwed up with the 5.7 driver and BF2 :confused:

If BF2 is really the problem... could that still cause my system to restart? I mean wtf... lol
 
It very likely it could just be another case of the extreme peice of crap that the BF2 code is. You think they'd get it right the three time around but nope, still cant do it.

Anyway, tell us what Doom 3 does, if its fine then its a driver issue.
 
A combination of things is leading to you overheating. Try cleaning your GPU fan and installing the Cat 5.6's maybe? I don't play BF2 so I dunno how the 5.6's or 5.7's fair with it. Clean the rest of your system to ensure airflow. Try down clocking your card with ATItool 10-15mhz on the core & memory and see if you still overheat.

Lotsa stuff you can try and as long as you're careful, you won't break nuthin.
 
Well the newer drivers sure as hell improved DOom 3 since it came out way back when.... I can push 6xAA Temporal Aliasing....Not sure what that is.... and 16xaf with everything maxed out on 1152x resolution and thats just when I start to feel some stutter issues. Man I remember when Doom 3 came out I had to run it on 640x resolution with medium settings :cool:
 
The 9800 Pro from the release of Doom 3 has at least been able to do the game at high settings at 1024x768. Sounds to me you hardly ever update your drivers.
 
Nah I do. I just haven't played it in ages. Also I stuck a massive rotary fan by the computer and took the case off. I only have sensors on the harddrives so thats all I have to judge and well. They go from around 91 Degrees F with the fan off, to 78-85 Degrees F with it on. Screw all that liquid cooling stuff....just prop up a box fan by the computer! :D



Err ok heres a problem. I boot up Doom 3 again and as the menu loads it freezes and I get VPU Recover thing and then system freezes. Just restarted....
 
Wait, roflroflrofl. You actually think you managed to heat your card up THAT instantly?

Highly doubted. Everytime I pushed an OC on my 9800 Pro too high (say, 600mhz OC) it would instantly freeze, not cause of the heat, but because of the impossible OC, lol. You'd need volt mods to go that high successfully.
 
KrakenGuy said:
Wait, roflroflrofl. You actually think you managed to heat your card up THAT instantly?

Highly doubted. Everytime I pushed an OC on my 9800 Pro too high (say, 600mhz OC) it would instantly freeze, not cause of the heat, but because of the impossible OC, lol. You'd need volt mods to go that high successfully.
From my experience, that worst thing that happened was the card would freeze, but never fry, unless you extremely overlock teh !T
 
KrakenGuy said:
Wait, roflroflrofl. You actually think you managed to heat your card up THAT instantly?

Highly doubted. Everytime I pushed an OC on my 9800 Pro too high (say, 600mhz OC) it would instantly freeze, not cause of the heat, but because of the impossible OC, lol. You'd need volt mods to go that high successfully.

Condescending much? Troll.


I think you should change the drivers around. I've heard things about the Cat 5.7's causing some issues with older cards and heat. I don't remember the thread, but it was in the Catalyst Discussion section of http://www.rage3d.com

don't be totally disheartened until you're sure it's the card.
 
Well at any rate...that box fan I stuck next to the computer is working. Haven't had any weird problems or crashs.... And to think I almost bought a new video card.... :p This box fan just got me through 2 hours of BF2 or so without a hitch. Now what the hell that VPU Recover was I have no idea...
 
excellent.

if you're needing to use a box fan to cool the computer-- you might consider pulling it apart right quick to make sure there's not an unhealthy collection of dust bunnies


-- Chris
 
Nah I spray it all out with that condensed air stuff all the time. Thanks for the help guys....if it does anything else funky I'll be back ;)
 
Back
Top