Overlord Tempest X270OC mini-review

it only does it on pure white screens it is not that bad. I can hear it only on head phones or if my speakers on full blast
That's good. :)

Lately I noticed that the whine doesn't come on for me when using screens that has a lot of white. So I don't know if it fixed itself or b/c the ambient temp. is now warmer in the room.

That's good. :)

Lately I noticed that the whine doesn't come on for me when using screens that has a lot of white. So I don't know if it fixed itself or b/c the ambient temp. is now warmer in the room.

i think it has something to do with the cheap electronics board that the koreans use to drive these monitors. You know what i have not noticed it at all today on my monitors from korea. I think it has something to do with the temp of the monitor. I am going to make sure I save the think of which website makes a noise after doing some gaming and report back.

I tried testing pure white on my monitor just now and nothing.

Last edited:
i think it has something to do with the cheap electronics board that the koreans use to drive these monitors. You know what i have not noticed it at all today on my monitors from korea. I think it has something to do with the temp of the monitor. I am going to make sure I save the think of which website makes a noise after doing some gaming and report back.

I tried testing pure white on my monitor just now and nothing.
Dammit, that explains it. I now remember that I got an NVidia driver update, so that reset my frequency back to 60 Hz, which I just verified. I'll re-OC it to 120 Hz and I guess the whine will re-appear. Maybe I'll try 96 Hz first to see if the coil whine is audible at that level.

I re-OC'd my GPU (NVidia GTX 770) but to 96 Hz, and so far my Overlord monitor isn't making any coil whine sounds. I'll try 120 Hz again a bit later and I'm guessing the slight coil whine noise will return on certain white screens.

Maybe my vision isn't that good, but in regular PC use, I can't tell a difference between 60, 96, and 120 Hz. :eek:

Just curious, does OC'ing the monitor 24/7 cause problems for the board?

I'm considering putting it back to 60Hz when I'm not gaming, but it's kind of a PITA to switch every time I fire up a game.

You guys think this monitor stil worth getting? Debating on this one or waiting for an 27inch IPS 120hz w/ freesync potentially.

The current Acer monitor with free sync is a TN panel last I knew. Unless you are referring to the new gsync monitor. $800 is too much for my blood to spend on a monitor.

You can get the new asus 120hz native IPS in the next month for around 500

Last month, when NVidia released a driver update for GTA 5, I updated my driver for my GTX 770. Upon reboot, my Overlord monitor wouldn't display anything, but I know the computer was booted up. I finally rebooted into safe mode and undid the overclocking software that was done on my monitor. I went to the monitortests.com website and noticed there was a new OC driver available. So after I booted back into regular mode (and finally my monitor displayed normally), I re-OC'd it and everything worked fine. The moral of the story is to make sure the NVidia patcher from monitortests.com is compatible with the current ver. of NVidia driver. Luckily, the May update for the GTX 770 (and presumably other video cards) didn't require the patcher to be updated. I'm back @ 120 Hz on my Overlord. :cool:

Can someone that owns an overlord tempest let me know the pinout on the 4 pin power brick. I want to order a replacement and I don't have the original.

Is it the same as the catleap 2b?

Switching Power Supply
Model # FY2405000

According to the picture on the back of the brick, with the guide notch facing down, the two pins on the right are - and the two pins on the left are +.

Switching Power Supply
Model # FY2405000

According to the picture on the back of the brick, with the guide notch facing down, the two pins on the right are - and the two pins on the left are +.

Thank you for the info greatly appreciated.

It's been over a year since I ordered my Overlord monitor and it's been going strong ever since I got it around Feb. :cool:

Just remember if you OC it, un-OC it back to 60 Hz before upgrading its video drivers. Then get the updated clock patcher if applicable (for NVidia) and re-OC it.

I still have a slight whine in certain white backgrounds, like checking Squirrel Mail or viewing certain PDFs. But other than that, it performs like a champ @ 120 Hz @ 1440p resolution.

Edit: It looks like they went out of business?! :confused:
http://forums.evga.com/Overlord-Computers-Gone-out-of-business-m2361361.aspx

Last edited:
Back