Overlord Tempest owners thread

BostonHXC

Limp Gawd
There seems to be a lack of an ongoing thread realting to this amazing monitor so I am creating one.

I have owned mine for about two weeks and I am absolutely loving it. Ill take some pics once I get my desk cleaned up ;)

Dont need you guys busting my nuts over a dirty desk :)

Just made adjustments yesterday to my CRU settings to get 120Hz that seems to be stable for me.

Have it on a monoprice desk mount and just very happy with this for my main monitor with my two Samsungs flanking it.

Still bitter about my ASUS 7970 failing to output a solid DVI signal, but given that things still basically work, I've all but let it go.

Just made adjustments yesterday to my CRU settings to get 120Hz that seems to be stable for me.

Have it on a monoprice desk mount and just very happy with this for my main monitor with my two Samsungs flanking it.

Still bitter about my ASUS 7970 failing to output a solid DVI signal, but given that things still basically work, I've all but let it go.

Jack - Are you using a Mini DP to Dual Link DVI adapter or the DVI-D port on the card itself?

If you are using the Mini DP adpater and it is not an active adapter then do yourself a favor and pick one up from monoprice. They are NOT cheap at $99 each but they work well.

I picked one up right before Christmas. Refreshed the page mid day after they were out of stock and 3 popped up. I had been in the market and keeping an off and on eye over the Catsleap and Overlord for a while. When the Catsleap price jumped to $820 for the 2B PP, that sealed the deal for me on Overlord. (Though I'm not a fan of the massive "OVERLORD" badge smack on the front it is pretty minor overall though for such a great display.)

I am definitely pleased with the monitor. Though no on screen brightness setting threw me for a loop at first discovery. The screen was so bright out of the box. I also haven't found a single dead/stuck pixel yet on it which is fantastic, though perhaps a bit lucky. (I haven't looked too closely as I could never unsee it once found.) The stand is 'ok', but I would prefer a little sturdier setup. Cleaning the screen can get it swaying a bit more than I'm comfortable with, and I would say the display overall sits about 2" too low on my desk for my preference. I've been looking through some of the Ergotron stands, though I have a glass desk and am concerned about having so much weight on a smaller footprint with the weight and length of the arms I've seen.

So far I've successfully OC'd it to 115hz with minimal effort to do so. If some of you guys could share your timings, I would appreciate the comparison to my 115hz setup currently. But I'll probably step it down to 96hz for day-2-day routine usage. I have yet to really notice any significant coil-whine either, which is nice after reading a few threads.

TL;DR: Me when I first setup the monitor @96hz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aRBL590Bd8#t=00m10s

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread by the way. Definitely not much chat about this great display going on outside the main Overlord boards.

Jack - Are you using a Mini DP to Dual Link DVI adapter or the DVI-D port on the card itself?

If you are using the Mini DP adpater and it is not an active adapter then do yourself a favor and pick one up from monoprice. They are NOT cheap at $99 each but they work well.

Appreciate that. Actually, I'm running it from the dual-link DVI. I've got a standard DP to DVI active adapter, but I haven't bothered to switch things around to try it out.

Eventually it might seem worthwhile, but as-is, things are working, so I'm not looking to mess around.

Scribby has posted he's looking for the right engineer(s) to help create an OC PCB that would include Displayport rather than DVI. I am giddy at the prospect.

I have lusted over these monitors for the past few weeks since I read about them on another forum. Are there any in-depth reviews for these yet? I'd really like to see some analysis from anandtech or techreport.

Whenever I get a paycheck I end up blowing it on something crazy. In for 3 Tempest X270OC Glossy...

Scribby has posted he's looking for the right engineer(s) to help create an OC PCB that would include Displayport rather than DVI. I am giddy at the prospect.
Sure that could be done, actually it is already in the pipeline (the chip) sadly all under NDA for now.
Actually if he was to order a couple of hundred I'm pretty sure they would also sign him up then he can just use reference prints.
Such an appliance is a bit of a waste considering the panel is 8 bit so you won't have an advantage in colour accuracy if you were to scale lower resolutions.

I have lusted over these monitors for the past few weeks since I read about them on another forum. Are there any in-depth reviews for these yet? I'd really like to see some analysis from anandtech or techreport.

I too have been looking for an in depth review for these monitors. I just picked up a ViewSonic VP2770 and after comparing the specs from it to the Overloard Tempest, i'm wondering if I should return it and pick up on of these Tempests instead. The overloard has the ability to OC the Hz where the Viewsonic does not. I think they use the same panel too, so there probably isn't too much of a difference as far as color and clarity. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I too have been looking for an in depth review for these monitors. I just picked up a ViewSonic VP2770 and after comparing the specs from it to the Overloard Tempest, i'm wondering if I should return it and pick up on of these Tempests instead. The overloard has the ability to OC the Hz where the Viewsonic does not. I think they use the same panel too, so there probably isn't too much of a difference as far as color and clarity. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The Tcon is pretty capable already so you you replace the input board but no need to go with a overpriced Overlord board since there are quite a few input boards that can do it.
If you have a fair bit of skill you can get youself a TMDS to LVDS board for not that much.

The Tcon is pretty capable already so you you replace the input board but no need to go with a overpriced Overlord board since there are quite a few input boards that can do it.
If you have a fair bit of skill you can get youself a TMDS to LVDS board for not that much.

Well, the Overlord Tempest is ~$200 cheaper than the Viewsonoc, so it's a better buy if it's the same quality. I also don't have the skill to change the input board myself. I've never done it so I wouldn't even know where to start.

Well, the Overlord Tempest is ~$200 cheaper than the Viewsonoc, so it's a better buy if it's the same quality. I also don't have the skill to change the input board myself. I've never done it so I wouldn't even know where to start.
Open it up connect the pins which you have removed from the connector that goes into the Tcon to the right channels. (use panel datasheet for reference)
And you should be set.

I know input lag is low on these monitors but how does it hold for fast moving games?

I know input lag is low on these monitors but how does it hold for fast moving games?

I just got mine in last week. I've played about 5 hours of Black Ops 2 and around 30-40 hours of BF3 already. It looks absolutely amazing. Haven't noticed any kind of input lag or ghosting. At the very least I haven't noticed any difference coming from my Asus VE278Q monitors.

I just got mine in last week. I've played about 5 hours of Black Ops 2 and around 30-40 hours of BF3 already. It looks absolutely amazing. Haven't noticed any kind of input lag or ghosting. At the very least I haven't noticed any difference coming from my Asus VE278Q monitors.

I'd love to hear some feedback from anyone that went from a TN 120Hz panel to the Overlord. How does it feel compared to a TN? I find it hard to believe that there aren't any drawbacks going with this display. Likewise, I'd also like to hear from anyone going from a high quality IPS display to this one and how they feel about it.

It almost seems to good to be true.

I'd love to hear some feedback from anyone that went from a TN 120Hz panel to the Overlord. How does it feel compared to a TN? I find it hard to believe that there aren't any drawbacks going with this display. Likewise, I'd also like to hear from anyone going from a high quality IPS display to this one and how they feel about it.

It almost seems to good to be true.

I went to the Tempest X27OOC from the Samsung S27A950D. To my eyes it's every bit as snappy at 120Hz, and of course the IPS panel and 2560x1440 resolution are BIG improvements. I admittedly haven't experienced any of the 'super low lag' 120Hz TNs from BenQ or ASUS (the Sammy reportedly has more latency than these) but can assure you that the Tempest is delightful when overclocked, especially when you're getting a solid 90-120fps in-game.

If you want more detailed impressions, you can consult a more detailed review I did a while back: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2036981

I went to the Tempest X27OOC from the Samsung S27A950D. To my eyes it's every bit as snappy at 120Hz, and of course the IPS panel and 2560x1440 resolution are BIG improvements. I admittedly haven't experienced any of the 'super low lag' 120Hz TNs from BenQ or ASUS (the Sammy reportedly has more latency than these) but can assure you that the Tempest is delightful when overclocked, especially when you're getting a solid 90-120fps in-game.

If you want more detailed impressions, you can consult a more detailed review I did a while back: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2036981

I recently made a similar move from the S27A950D to three X270 OC's. I am really enjoying it thus far. I need to make some adjustments but once I do that I will be more than happy with the upgrade. Response times feel pretty solid.

I recently made a similar move from the S27A950D to three X270 OC's. I am really enjoying it thus far. I need to make some adjustments but once I do that I will be more than happy with the upgrade. Response times feel pretty solid.

nice.

Back