Overlooked RPGs

Planescape is a fantastic game! I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

Xenogears is great up until the last disc which is basically a "shit we are out of money and need to release this game already". very rushed at the end.

Planescape is a fantastic game! I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

Xenogears is great up until the last disc which is basically a "shit we are out of money and need to release this game already". very rushed at the end.

:D

So true, I honestly never finished the game. I lost interest right at the end. Its too bad since the game was so good right up until that point. I've really been meaning to give it another go.

Alpha Protocol

I agree, I loved the hell out of that game.

I just can't do Gothic. Its not my cup of tea. I didn't really like Risen either.

I can see what people like about these games but it just isn't for me.

I never heard of Kings Field until I started playing Demon's Souls. Everyone kept saying it was a spiritual successor to the King's Field. Made me interested in trying it.

Really? I never knew that. That's strange to me there two totally different games. Though I have never played Demon Souls.

I'll pimp it one more time because I am enjoying it soooo much...but check out Vindictus. If anyone wants to check it out let me know and we can play together! (It's free) Just grab me in steam (I am always logged in unless the computer is off).

Definitely agree with mentions of Vampire the masquerade and NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer. Very very memorable. excellent.

Dragon Knight Saga was fun enough to make me get Divine Divinity and beat that too. I'll give the Saga another playthrough some day. Looks like they are now making a RTS sequel, with some third person RPG action as well. Looks interesting if it isn't too wacky with the jetpack thing and possible undead romance.

I'll keep some of those top down party based games in mind, though I have this feeling that I should be playing Arcanum or Planescape as my next top down party based game. How does Geneforge 5 stack up against a game like Baldur's gate 2?

NWN 2 MoB: NWN 2 wasn't anything ground breaking. The graphics were nice but the modified engine they used ran like ass even on high end rigs. Character models and animations were clearly done by amateurs. Their toolset was buggy and not user friendly in the least. Needless to say quite a few people had given up on it by the time the first XP, Mask of the Betrayer, rolled around. For those that played it though, most agree it was the best RPG experience to come out of either the first or second Neverwinter. The game was very old school and introduced a dark storyline, fantastic exotic locations, and some nasty dungeons that you could actually get lost in.

If you haven't played this one I would recommend it. Our hardware has advanced enough that you should actually be able to play with high settings as well. You can get the expansion for $10 download or less on ebay.

Is it worth JUST playing MoB? I've never really played the OC for NWN2.

but check out Vindictus.

I have spent way too much time in Vindictus. Vindictus is currently my favorite game of all time (is that bad).

Currently I could not recommend to anyone in North America to play Vindictus for very specific reasons which include,

1) The instance based combat is hosted by peer 2 peer and while there are plenty of good hosts there are plenty of bad ones so expect to make some friends with good hosts to enjoy raids while not soloing

2) Nexon NA does not appear to give a crap about their hosting and as such users frequently experience delays when attempting to create a party, long delays after defeating a boss and looting...words can not describe how bad it is

Someone needs to complain about Nexon NA to a higher up because I have used a proxy to connect to their recently released European version of the game and it is like a dream...in spite of the fact I am connecting from thousands of miles away from the west coast to Germany I am treated with a superior online experience without lag.

So take all that for what it is worth. Vindictus is one of the better PC games I have played. For a fan of both Action, RPG and MMO games nothing surpasses Vindictus...all in a f2p model.

Currently I could not recommend to anyone in North America to play Vindictus for very specific reasons which include,

1) The instance based combat is hosted by peer 2 peer and while there are plenty of good hosts there are plenty of bad ones so expect to make some friends with good hosts to enjoy raids while not soloing

2) Nexon NA does not appear to give a crap about their hosting and as such users frequently experience delays when attempting to create a party, long delays after defeating a boss and looting...words can not describe how bad it is

Someone needs to complain about Nexon NA to a higher up because I have used a proxy to connect to their recently released European version of the game and it is like a dream...in spite of the fact I am connecting from thousands of miles away from the west coast to Germany I am treated with a superior online experience without lag.

I did a little research on this, and my understanding now is that lag in Vindictus lives and dies based on the group leader's upload speed and capacity because the game uses listen servers instead of dedicated servers. Most of the broadband infrastructure in North America has fallen far behind Euro or Korean for the simple fact that NA is vastly larger than the other zones. Most users looking for f2p here are going to be lucky to have as much as 256k upload.

Hellgate...London!

I know just mentioning this will ignite a frenzy of angst!!!

podcastimage237049.gif

I'll keep some of those top down party based games in mind, though I have this feeling that I should be playing Arcanum or Planescape as my next top down party based game. How does Geneforge 5 stack up against a game like Baldur's gate 2?

It's a more complex game, for sure. There are many outcomes and many ways to play it. There are factions, factions within factions, and every choice you make has some sort of effect on how the rest of the game will play out. It's obviously a hand crafted game, where you get very unique encounters and pretty decent lore. It's isometric, turn based grid-style. Expect to read a lot of text, like in Planescape. It's a true old-school crpg. I found it very satisfying. Don't expect much from the graphics, but they do the trick just fine.

If you find it a bit too daunting, try one of his other games, like Avernum 6 or a more mainstream title, Avadon: The Black Fortress. All of them have several hour long demos.

Might be interested in Risen. I dont like the melee combat but it was an OK game - if you're really into RPGs I think you'd like it.

Really? I never knew that. That's strange to me there two totally different games. Though I have never played Demon Souls.

I don't know enough about Kings Field to say either way. I just know both games are by From Software. Guess you can include Dark Souls now. Even wiki says Demon's Souls is the spiritual successor to Kings Field but I've heard it from people who have played both as well.

From wikipedia...

Set in a dark fantasy world, players take control of a custom hero who has journeyed to the fictional kingdom of Boletaria, which is being ravaged by an accursed fog that brings forth demons that feast on the souls of mortals. The game has been described as a spiritual successor to the King's Field series, a previous series of games from the same developer. The gameplay involves a character creation system with emphasis on gathering loot through combat with enemies in a non-linear series of varied locations. It also has a unique online multiplayer system integrated into the single-player where players can leave useful messages and warnings for other players' game worlds.

So now you know what to do with your life.

Play King's Field, Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls :p

Is it worth JUST playing MoB? I've never really played the OC for NWN2.

It is always nice to play OCs. MOtB was awesome but I think the OC was not far behind. The OC had some charming points that you don't find in MOtB. I liked the OC's stronghold for example. Bear in mind I played both after quite a few patches. Those who played NWN2 from the patchless beginning might not have had quite the enjoyable experience I had.

It's a more complex game, for sure. There are many outcomes and many ways to play it. There are factions, factions within factions, and every choice you make has some sort of effect on how the rest of the game will play out. It's obviously a hand crafted game, where you get very unique encounters and pretty decent lore. It's isometric, turn based grid-style. Expect to read a lot of text, like in Planescape. It's a true old-school crpg. I found it very satisfying. Don't expect much from the graphics, but they do the trick just fine.

If you find it a bit too daunting, try one of his other games, like Avernum 6 or a more mainstream title, Avadon: The Black Fortress. All of them have several hour long demos.

factions within faction and other such complexities definitely sounds good. Lore and a pervasive atmosphere are great. Hmmm.... not as much of a turn based guy, but that hasn't stopped me from loving a number of turned based games. I'll keep this in my radar.

It is always nice to play OCs. MOtB was awesome but I think the OC was not far behind. The OC had some charming points that you don't find in MOtB. I liked the OC's stronghold for example. Bear in mind I played both after quite a few patches. Those who played NWN2 from the patchless beginning might not have had quite the enjoyable experience I had.

I would play the OC first (or at least part of it), simply because the first level of MotB throws some pretty serious enemies at you a few seconds after the opening dialogue finishes, and even though they aren't terribly difficult, they're hard enough that fumbling through the UI for the first time can be enough to kill you.

That said, I always thought MotB was miles above the OC, though I liked them both. My main complaint of the OC was that you gradually accumulate anti-all immunities via the quest item you gradually assemble, which dilutes the difficulty, whereas the difficulty of MotB scales more properly.

The NWN2 OC NPCs were unidimensional and beyond annoying....like traveling with a group of tweens.

The later AD&D games also suffered from awful class and skill bloat, but with the computer doing all the grunt work, it doesn't detract (or for that matter add) much.

Back