Overlooked RPGs

Parmenides

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone play Arx Fatalis? Any thoughts on it? Never heard of it until recently. Any other ones I may have missed?

Without knowing the sort of thing you have played, how would we know what you have missed?

Oh and I gave the demo a go, didn't play it much IIRC.

Arx Fatalis is a spiritual successor to the Ultima Underworld Games, it was a fairly decent game in its' own right, but nothing too amazing.

It a dungeon crawler a bit of a mix of elder scrolls and wizardry.

Yeah, I always check GOG, though I haven't gone on a trip to exhaust their stuff catalog. Maybe sort RPG by rating and go from there.

Guess "overlooked" is a subjective term. What's overlooked by some isn't for others. I'm thinking more about what kind of games I may have missed after the infinity engine type era.

Arx Fatalis was okay... but I started to kind of hate it towards the end. There was some sort of item you had to collect in order to beat the game... yet the game didn't properly express this fact to me. So I found myself tossing whatever item it was (don't remember) thinking that I ALWAYS hoard stuff in videos games that I end up never using... Rather than spend 40 hours traversing the game for those dropped items, I opted to cheat and used the console to walk through a wall. Well the ending of the game wound up sucking (most do) and in the end I don't have fond memories of Arx Fatalis.

Also the level design was really awful and confusing.

Vampire: Masquerades or something like that. Get fan patches and you're in for a pretty good game.

Fans of the Infinity Engine series (Baldur's Gate, etc) should give Divine Divinity a whirl. An updated version is on GOG.

The Witcher

Champions of Norrath

The Witcher? How is that an overlooked RPG? The PC community was all over it.

For me I felt Planescape: Torment was largely overlooked. Amazing dialog and still one of my personal favorites. Never felt so engrossed by dialog in an RPG.

The Witcher? How is that an overlooked RPG? The PC community was all over it.

For me I felt Planescape: Torment was largely overlooked. Amazing dialog and still one of my personal favorites. Never felt so engrossed by dialog in an RPG.

yeah man, The Witcher is not very popular and is overlooked by many. The same could be said about Planescape, Fantastic game but many people just have not played it.

yeah man, The Witcher is not very popular and is overlooked by many. The same could be said about Planescape, Fantastic game but many people just have not played it.

The Witcher actually was pretty popular , it sold over 100,000 copies in Poland and over a million across the world by the 7th of November in 2007. I remember buying it day 1 , was deeply engrossing .. I loved the shit out of it and recommended it to all my friends.

Yeah, the Witcher is far from overlooked. Its like calling Half Life 2 overlooked.

Want an overlooked RPG?

It's not on the PC, but it's on the PSN Store, its' called Xenogears, my personal GGOAT

Want an overlooked RPG?

It's not on the PC, but it's on the PSN Store, its' called Xenogears, my personal GGOAT

I agree it was a great game. You could play it with an emulator on the PC. I've been meaning to look into playstation emulators at some point. I loved that system.

Isn't Arx Fatalis like 8 years old? There's a LOT to catch up on, here.
The copy I have came with an Abit agp 5200 purchased back in 2003.
Only played about 20 min of it before moving on to something else. I still come across the cd every once in a while. Maybe I will give it a whirl.

I agree it was a great game. You could play it with an emulator on the PC. I've been meaning to look into playstation emulators at some point. I loved that system.

It's 10 bucks on the PSN store, if you have a ps3 or PSP, no reason not to actually buy the game instead of downloading the EBoot.

As a fan of the Ultima Underworld games I enjoyed Arx Fatalis quite a bit, despite its flaws. I would love to play another immersive 1st person dungeon crawl like Ultima Underworld made with a modern 3D engine.

Yeah, the Witcher is far from overlooked. Its like calling Half Life 2 overlooked.

What is this Half Life 2 you speak of? ;)

Icewind Dale series, Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape, Baldurs Gate 1 & 2, Dungeon Siege 1, Neverwinter Nights, and Temple of Elemental Evil, Torchlight, Two Worlds, Risen, Bastion, Breath of Death, Drakensang, Vampire: The Masqerade, and Divine Divity are just a few I enjoyed immensely.

It's 10 bucks on the PSN store, if you have a ps3 or PSP, no reason not to actually buy the game instead of downloading the EBoot.

I bought the game back in the day. Plus with an emulator you can use some AA and a higher resolution.

The titles mentioned are good, and some of them new to me, but for some older ones:

- Dark Sun: Shattered Lands [D&D, it's awesome... look at the youtube let's play videos, it's GLADIATOR] - Make sure to DL the patched version, and skip Wake of the Ravager (sequel).
- Betrayal at Krondor [Also awesome. This game was made into a book, I believe. This isn't your typical BS game-story. It is presented as a novel. cRPGs (like this one) and Tolkien taught me how to read - I've never heard of a cooler way to learn such a fundamental skill.]
- Wizardry 7 and 8 (W8 is more modern, but I haven't spent much time with it. The nostalgia I feel when playing W7 is just overpowering, so I haven't given myself a real chance with W8, which seems pretty good to be honest).

These games are overlooked NOW because of their age, but they're STILL fun as hell.

I'm especially enjoying Dark Sun. Wizardry is more complex than D&D rules somehow. Krondor is... well these are all real deal cRPGs. Because I played these games, I couldn't fully delve into the relatively simplistic jRPGs of that era (though I still played most of them because I loved RPGs).

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

one of the most perfect games in the entire history of gaming, or it would be, if not for all the bugs :p

fortunately the community patched it clean.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

one of the most perfect games in the entire history of gaming, or it would be, if not for all the bugs :p

fortunately the community patched it clean.

It's amazing how well this game holds up to the test of time.

It's amazing how well this game holds up to the test of time.

I tried to play it and just couldn't get into it. It uses the source engine, yet it loads more than HL2, which really kills the immersion in an RPG, IMO.

I tried to play it and just couldn't get into it. It uses the source engine, yet it loads more than HL2, which really kills the immersion in an RPG, IMO.

So what, Half Life 2 had load times, so does Portal 2, so does Deus Ex: HR.

Don't let that get in the way of you enjoying the damn game.

NWN 2 MoB: NWN 2 wasn't anything ground breaking. The graphics were nice but the modified engine they used ran like ass even on high end rigs. Character models and animations were clearly done by amateurs. Their toolset was buggy and not user friendly in the least. Needless to say quite a few people had given up on it by the time the first XP, Mask of the Betrayer, rolled around. For those that played it though, most agree it was the best RPG experience to come out of either the first or second Neverwinter. The game was very old school and introduced a dark storyline, fantastic exotic locations, and some nasty dungeons that you could actually get lost in.

If you haven't played this one I would recommend it. Our hardware has advanced enough that you should actually be able to play with high settings as well. You can get the expansion for $10 download or less on ebay.

NWN2: MOB was good, but I tend to like D&D games. This may also be why I liked many of the isometric games: Plane Scape: Torment, and the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series and Temple of Elemental Evil (mentioned in this thread).

Vampire: Bloodlines, with the community patches and/or optional patches, is also good. That was one of my favorite modern games.

Note: Both Vampire and Temple of Elemental Evil were developed by Troika Games. They also made "Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura" - which I own and intend to play at some point despite the partially steampunk theme.

Of course Morrowind was not overlooked, but with the HUGE modpacks available, it's a new game. I'd try it with one of the 2011 complete mod sets...whichever one is the current...I cannot remember. I loaded it up briefly and then reformatted...oh well

planetscape for sure....having left pc gaming for some time after viewing planetscape vids on youtube i realized i missed out on something major...also looking forward to firefall and planetscape 2 (also interested in the tribes mmo to some degree).

Amongst more recent games, I would nominate Divinity 2 and Alpha Protocol. Both were surprisingly really fun.

So what, Half Life 2 had load times, so does Portal 2, so does Deus Ex: HR.

Don't let that get in the way of you enjoying the damn game.

But it does. I cannot get immersed in an RPG that loads as often as this one. I pretty much require a completely open world that only loads if you go into buildings (like Oblivion and FO3, NV) to be able to be properly immersed in the game. Otherwise, it just feels like a chore trying to work around the places that cause the game to load.

FPS games don't really bother me as much when they load often. Not sure why, just the way I work, I guess..

I just got into playing the F2P MMO Vindictus. Combat is a lot of fun. It really reminds me of Guild Wars. It's really easy to just hop in, run a dungeon or two, and hop out.

Back