• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Overlook these system components please, before I buy.

Jitsu

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
280
I'm building it for a friend - He wants a mid-range gaming system. Budget is $1,200.

I'm mostly concerned with the ram. I just picked this stuff based on the name, and the fact that it's pc 3200; he's not going to be overclocking, so I presume that anything over pc 3200 would be wasted money. If you can suggest another pair of 512 sticks that would be the best bang for the buck, around 150-180 dollar range, without overclocking... please do so.

I also picked the mobo based on the name, and a few reviews that I read. I just built a system for my mother using the same cpu, mobo, and HDD, and it works flawlessly.

My basis on choosing that lcd for gaming was because of it's price, and also it's 16m response time. I am lead to believe that ghosting is minimal, if noticable, on lcd's with a response time of ~16m. Truth?

Suggestions and comments, please.

shoppingcart1.JPG

shoppingcart2.JPG
 
Sounds good. If not an OC'ing machine, might I suggest this as an alternative. Its mushkin, its on sale today (2/8/05).
 
Looks good but i'd change the lite-on for a pioneer or sony (cause the lite-on is REALLY loud) and i'd suggest an Antec of the Forton PSU. Apart from that, looks good.
 
fotron PSU is very good for that price-range. The antec PSU's are either crap (smartpower line) or decent (truepower line). Check the PSU forum for more info.
 
An 80Gb disk is theoretically fine, but since space is so cheap I'd recommend you look for a 160Gb. If your friend is non technical, give him enough room to install/save what he wants without having to uninstall or 'make do'.

Examples: Unreal Tournament 2k4 - 5Gb install
HL2 - 3.5Gb

A few modern games and a big scud directory and he'll soon be out of space with 80Gb ;)

As for the LCD monitor - it's not going to be as good as a larger screen CRT which you can get for the same money. On the other hand, a lot of people nowadays expect an LCD and won't be content with a CRT as they are sometimes perceived as old tech. In spite of the fact that they continue to outperform LCDs from a pure gaming perspective.
 
Back
Top