• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overlocking a 5770 same as a 5870?

x509

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 20, 2009
Messages
2,630
The latest issue of Computer Power User has a nice article about how to overclock a 5870 http://www.computerpoweruser.com/ed...c01.asp&guid=DBDFF8D168664C96BC30F08AFCDA48AF. :)

The article tells you to do a BIOS flash using the ASUS or MSI BIOS, even if you don't have one of those cards, and they give you a URL for the download. My question is: can this BIOS also be used for a 5770? :confused: :confused:

Assuming you can get the right BIOS, would the rest of the instructions in that article also apply for overclocking a 5770?

Thanks, :D

x509
 
I highly doubt it. The 5770 is quite a bit different than the 5870. I've heard of people using a 5870bios on a 5850, but that's not nearly the same thing.
 
As far as I can remember, MSI recently released a modified BIOS specifically for the 5770; I saw an ad or article somewhere where they made a hooplah about it. You see if you could get that off the MSI website. But I probably wouldn't advise using a 5870 BIOS on a 5770.
 
The 5870 has twice the memory bus width (256bit vs 128bit), twice the stream processors (1600 vs 800), twice the texture units (80 vs 40), and twice the ROPs (32 vs 16).

Sorry, no. Not gonna work. Getting a 5770 to perform the same as a 5870? Good luck with that.

Edit: When I say "Not gonna work", I mean flashing a 5770 with a 5870 BIOS is not gonna work. Please note what the OP's question was.
 
Last edited:
way to fail at reading. hes asking whether the METHOD of overclocking is the same as 5870. Yes. It pretty much is.

Here is a better way to do it:

http://www.overclock.net/7930362-post8.html

Yeah, the 960 issue. its locked out by the BIOS. Try downloading this.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...r_HD_5870.html

I hit the issue and I got around it. Use is very simple.

Set your clocks with Afterburner. Memory clock I mean, your core clock will not matter. Close it.

Launch Clock Tool, and set your core clock past 960. Then hit set clocks.

Close Clock Tool. Open up Afterburner again, and set your fan speed.

Afterburner will now show your correctly set clocks. Unfortunately you ave to re-do that for each step up in clock speed, as the 5770's BIOS locks you from going above 960, but Clock Tool will go past it somehow. I use it, running mine at 1001/1300, no issues.

No flashing necessary, no voided warranties.

EDIT: I forgot to add this. Sometimes this method will mess up Afterburner's readings. Like once my GPU's usage was stuck at 99%, another time my fan speed said 30 when it was at 60. It is only Afterburner though, it's not a problem with the card. It's rare, but it does happen. But it will not affect you negatively, other than a bad reading.
 
He was also asking if the 5770 can be flashed with the 5870 bios.
 
Back
Top