Overloaded Power Supply?

Joined
Feb 15, 2004
Messages
63
I want to know the symptomns of a overloaded powersupply...
Currently, I have a cheap powersupply rated at 350W.
I have 2 hard drives (80 gig and 250 gig), 2 cd drives (one cd, one burner), a 6800nu, and 5 case fans. (one 120mm, and the other 4 80 mm). Everything is fine when it is overclocked to 2.9ghz, but the video is kind of quirky lately. I get checkerboards once in a while and a restart fixes it. When I try to up the voltage and hit 3 ghz the computer restarts, while the processor is quite cool, so I am assuming the powersupply is overloaded. When I overclock the video card (even within acceptable means) the computer is sluggish and problematic. Am I correct to assume this and buy another powersupply?
 
lol, I am a noob when it comes to power supplies. I don't have any utilities to test the amps or anything for that matter. The only information I can give you is that Sandra is reporting 11.55V for the +12V rail and -12.12 for the -12V rail. Sorry can't be more precise.
 
there should be a sticker on the psu that you have to open the case to see. it will have a number with an A following it for +12v. the number with the A is what is important. its probably about 15A and thats pretty darn weak for your setup.
 
Yeah, you'll definitely want something better than that. Check the sticky posts for the buy/do not buy lists and pick one that fits your price range.
 
Back
Top