Overdrive PC

sm0kin

n00b
okay.. my first seriously "beefy" machine and I thought I'd throw this out for all the [H]ard corps folks to comment on... about the machine or the company, I'd like feedback on both.

I'd read the great reviews that OPC has been getting lately and read all the positive posts on Reseller Ratings about them, etc. so I went and commisioned a system from them. One which should allow me to do things like upgrade to a dual core CPU, better vid cards etc. in the future.

Purpose of the machine is both heavy gaming and video editing (thus the huge storage drives).

Here's the build:

Build ID : 20479

System Warranty and Coverage : [Platinum] (3 Year) Parts & Labor Warranty
Battery Backup (UPS) : [APC] 1000VA (Battery/Surge Protector) SUA1000
Case and Color : [Lian-Li] PC-70 | (Silver) (Aluminum) (Extended ATX) (Full Tower)
Ultra-Quiet SureCool System and Fan Colors : Fan Lights (Blue)
Processor Cooler(s) : [Thermaltake] (Air) (Copper) Venus 12
Power Supply : [Ultra] X-Connect (500 Watt)
Video Adapter : (2) [NVIDIA] GeForce 6800 GT PCI-E (256 MB) | HyperClocked
Monitor 1 : [NEC] (CRT) AS900-BK (19 inch)
Disk Array 1 | Hard Disk Drive(s) : (2) [Western Digital] (74GB) (SATA) (10,000 RPM) Raptor - System/programs
Disk Array 2 | Hard Disk Drive(s) : (2) [Seagate] (SATA) (400GB) (7200 RPM) NCQ - Bulk Storage
Disk Array 3 | Hard Disk Drive(s) : (1) [Western Digital] (36GB) )SATA) (10,000 RPM) Rator - Swap File/system backups
Processor(s) : [AMD] Athlon 64 3700+ HyperClocked to 2.75GHz (550MHz FREE!)
Motherboard : Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce4 PCI Express Motherboard (939)
System Memory (RAM) : 2.0 GB (Custom Modules) (Rated to 550+ MHz) (DDR)
Operating System : [Microsoft] Windows XP (Professional)
Hot-Swap and Removable Hard Disk Drive Trays 1 : [SuperMicro] (SATA) (5 Drive) Removeable Hard Drive Cage
CD/DVD Disk Drive 1 : [Sony] 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive
CD/DVD Cable Color : Rounded Cable (Steel)
Floppy/Flash Drive 1 : [Mitsumi] (Floppy / Flash Media Reader) (1.44MB) (3.5")
Floppy Disk Drive Cable Color : Rounded Cable (Steel)
Sound Adapter : [Creative Labs] Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum
Keyboard : [Logitech] Elite Multimedia
Mouse : [Logitech] (Optical) (Cordless) MX1000 (Silver/Black)
Games and Entertainment 1 : EverQuest II
Business & Productivity 1 : [Microsoft] Office Small Business Edition 2003
System Utilities and Protection 1 : [Symantec] Internet Security 2004
Shipping Options : [FedEx] (3-Day) Service (Computer, Speakers, Monitor)

Yes, I DO feel as if I have above-average genitalia :D

Your thoughts please?

sm0kin

looks like it could be alot of money.
wink.gif

i bet its like 3500$. why the CRT? arent LCDs good enough for video editing. and if you want to save like 500 bucks, download office 2003 and norton - which sucks by the way.

KoZLop said:
looks like it could be alot of money.
wink.gif

Heheh, oh yeah.. it wasn't cheap.. but it should hold me for awhile. Next one I'll build myself but I'm too busy building my business at the moment.. just need something for fun and relaxation. :p

Dell XPS 4

3.8ghz P4
4gb Ram
2x74gb Raptors In Raid 0
250 gb Harddrive
BFG 6800 256mb GTO videocard
DVD+RW Black
CD-RW Black
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Sony StylePro Series SDM-S204/B 20.1-inch Black Flat Panel LCD Display
Logitech MX500 6 Button Mouse
Logitech Racing Momo Racing Wheel(The New one)
Saitek Joystick(The newest one I forgot the name)
Windows XP Pro

$2,000 shipped with everything there. Let me know. You save alot of money and this system is better than yours :)

I see the word Thermaltake in there. ULTRA X connect!? EEEEW!!!! That's where I look at a different company. If they use that they don't know what they're doing obviously.

Congrats on the Dell. I just got a Precision Workstation dual 3.0 Xeons with 2GB ECC DDR2 and a Quadro 3400 all for 3200 dollars plus 500 for a Brick Wall surge supressor and an APC Smart UPS 750. Dell's are GREAT values these days. Their LCD monitors aren't bad either. Just got two of their digital flat pannels. They're not as good as their old P991 Sony Trinitron for IQ but they'll do for my secondary machine.

I would dump the X-Connect PSU and go for an OCZ supply instead. They're just about the same price and the OCZ model is higher quality. My X-Connect PSU blew up only a few hours on it's first day. Still haven't received my RMA from them 2 months later..

akademik_7 said:
Dell XPS 4

3.8ghz P4
4gb Ram
2x74gb Raptors In Raid 0
250 gb Harddrive
BFG 6800 256mb GTO videocard
DVD+RW Black
CD-RW Black
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Sony StylePro Series SDM-S204/B 20.1-inch Black Flat Panel LCD Display
Logitech MX500 6 Button Mouse
Logitech Racing Momo Racing Wheel(The New one)
Saitek Joystick(The newest one I forgot the name)
Windows XP Pro

$2,000 shipped with everything there. Let me know. You save alot of money and this system is better than yours :)

Not that I mind getting into penis measuring... but you're missing about 550 GB of storage, a 36 GB Raptor, another video card and the Platinum upgrade for the Audigy. :p I don't much care for LCDs, pixels dying and all.. but to each his own The Asus board and an AMD don't seem to get along well with 4 gig RAM is the only reason I shorted that.. but no biggies, would have only been a couple hundered extra.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
I see the word Thermaltake in there. ULTRA X connect!? EEEEW!!!! That's where I look at a different company. If they use that they don't know what they're doing obviously.

*shrug* Appearantly they have no problems with that supply. They do offer the PC Power and Cooling 510 but Mario assured me they hadn't had the ULTRA X ever give them a problem.. .and every machine they put out is OCed to one extent or another (CPU, RAM and Video).

As to heat, that's one benefit of the way they set up their cases and fans. Again, appearantly that's not an issue for them... 'specially seeing as they've been able to OC the 3700+ to FX-55 speeds with rock solid stability.

Of course, this is only what I've read, so I'll keep all this in mind as the first few months of usage go by and I appreciate the feedback. *bow*

Cyraxx said:
Get into computers.....build em....

*nod* It's not that I couldn't, I was building machines back when having 1 Meg of memory was consider overkill :p I'm just too old an dtoo busy now to keep up with the latest and greatest, although I try through reading [H]ardOCP :D

Thanks for all the input folks, but I haven't seen anything on the comapny itself yet? I know they're a relative unkown in the "package" system market, but they claim to have been doing it since 1994 so I had hoped that someone else had had an experience or two with them since then.

sm0kin

Saw this PC builder in a magazine round-up of SLI rigs once, and this builder got the top honor.

Back