overcloking celeron(tualitin)

jap

Weaksauce
i have a celeron 1400 working @ 1550 with the normal intel fan.when i go beyond 1550mhz
some problems starts showing so it would seem thats far as the old fan goes.how much it would help if i would buy a new fan and have anybody hear anythink about how good is to overclock this processor anyways.is it possible that i have too slow memory sticks in my computer?

Your CPU is the last one from the Celeron Tualatin series, so it has almost no o/c potential, but! :) The whole tualatin series was a test drive for, then future, northwood P4 core, so with its o.13 micron process it could scale very well.
My friend and I o/c-ed my P3 (not Celeron) Tualatin 1.2GHz to 183MHz FSB/1647MHz with Intel box qler (133MHz was default) and it could run win and appz, but after a few min of prime95 it would report an error :(. Few weeks later I sold my cpu because of money problems and the guy who bought it from me still runs it at 1.625v/175MHz FSB with the same Intel box qler stable as a rock (I accidently bumped into him few days ago :))
After selling the P3, I bought Cel-T 1200MHz (100MHz) OEM and clocked it to 1600MHz (133MHz FSB) that was its max. Even with 1.65v it wouldnt go higher.
Later I bought another Cel-T 1200MHz, but BOX, it wouldnt go beyond 1440MHz/120MHz FSB stable, not even with 1.65v and Tt7 qling.

So there you have it. With standard air cooling the limit is ~1600MHz, maybe with H2O or LN2 you could get better results, but for that money you can buy a new mobo+cpu+ram.

yeah thanks.i had totally forgot to raise the voltage so i try that.this will sound kinda lame but are there any real danger of overclockin processors(cause if i aint totally wrong the mobo's to day stop working when it comes critical) nowadays like example if i get the celeron to work as 1600mhz or better?

jap said:
yeah thanks.i had totally forgot to raise the voltage so i try that.this will sound kinda lame but are there any real danger of overclockin processors(cause if i aint totally wrong the mobo's to day stop working when it comes critical) nowadays like example if i get the celeron to work as 1600mhz or better?

You'll shorten the CPUs life cycle from 20years to 10 years and that's in theory, because by that time you'll change at least on cpu.
The only real danger for the cpu is if u over-volt it, dont set the voltage higher than 1.65v because that is 10% higher then normal voltage and is in tolerable range.
The best way to test if your computer is stable is to run prime95 for few hours and then a few runs of 3dmark 2k1, if it doesnt hang everything is ok.
Celeron T is cold even @full load, so there's no real danger of it overheating.

Those Tualatin Celerons and P3's are much tougher than the northwood P4's ever thought of being. I had a P3 1.26S that I had pelt/watercooled to over 1700 Mhz until the pelt fried, then ran it at 1600 or so with 1.8v vcore on air, using an old Kanie Hedgehog with a 27 cfm Sunon fan. High vcore doesn't kill them and they are easy to cool with even a half decent hsf quietly. I just recently sold the board and P3S so that I could upgrade that folding rig to a Northwood.

Back