Overclocking

icehokplyr

Limp Gawd
What's the best setting to OC my machine. Please see below. My prescott runs hotter than normal as it is and I want to OC. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.... :D

loosen timings on memory and start raising fsb on the cpu until it crashes using clockgen, then step down til its stable, finalise the settings in the bios, since its running hot it aint a good idea to increase the voltage

The Zalman is a wonderful cooler, I've used it on my p4 and loved it. Here's a couple of suggestions since you already have a solid cooler.

First, make sure the fan is turning as fast as possible on the Zalman. On the abit boards there are quiet fan options which you need to disable. Reboot. Then go back into the bios and make sure the fan is turning at its highest rated speed. I don't remember what it is, 3,000? 4,000?

Second, and this is something you should have done already. buy some artic silver 5 from your etailer of choice. Install as per the instrucions (very litte, don't get on hands and let it 'burn-in' for several hours).

If you can improve your cooling in those ways you should see significant drops in CPU temps which will improve your oc'ing ability.

You guys that actually offered help are awesome. Thanks. I'll give it a shot and post back. I have plenty of Arctic Silver in my refrigerator. I'll give it a whirl.

you only have to increase your cpu voltage if you overclock a LOT.

dekard said:
And if you are having heat problems you don't want to raise the voltage.

Good point. My proscessor is a 3.0. I believe the max I would get overclocking would be a 3.3 stable. Does that sound accurate? I might not even mess with it.

you never know how fast it can go until you do it, hell look at my cpu, lol

ryuji said:
you never know how fast it can go until you do it, hell look at my cpu, lol

True Bro. But you are more advanced than I am. I'm still trying to figure out how to make that custom NB cooler we spoke about in another post. :D

icehokplyr said:
True Bro. But you are more advanced than I am. I'm still trying to figure out how to make that custom NB cooler we spoke about in another post. :D
Why make a custom northbridge cooler? there are so many great aftermarket cooler, many for 10-20 bucks.

dekard said:
Why make a custom northbridge cooler? there are so many great aftermarket cooler, many for 10-20 bucks.
True but his is nice. Maybe he'll post a pic. I love to mod things. I can't help it.

its not really that custom, its the zalman with a custom clip made out of a fan grill ill post a pic you havent seen yet 1 minute :p

old picture... back when i was using a stand-in geforce 4, my ic7-g, and a stand-in 2.8b

i know it looks ugly, but thats because my old xp-120 got it so caked with dust i doubt even soaking it in water would get rid of it, im building a shroud with two 50mm fans just to make it look badass again :D it actualy needs the 40mm fan, i never gave the xp-120 enough credit for how much all round cooling it did to my stuff

icehokplyr said:
usualy when i talk/say im going to do somthing i end up doing it the same day unless it requires ordering stuff, i guess i expect that of too many people

I hear ya. I'll get around to it sooner or later. Right now I have too many things on my plate. I used to be the same way you are.

Here is my set-up

my.php

Back